Tuesday, March 7, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 7: It's in the cards

The circulation desk was transformed into party central yesterday.  My generous assistant continued the week-long green theme with a green plastic tablecloth, green flowers, a green birthday balloon, and a giant gift bag full of green relaxation gifts--pajamas, a robe, eye mask, and more.  And there was sliced pound cake--every flavor imaginable, enough to share with the entire campus.

My tech support teacher and instructional team treated me to lunch in the library with stories and laughter.

I couldn't have been better celebrated at work.

And then a music class came in from down the hall and sang "Happy Birthday" to me, leaving me with a stack of handmade cards.  

And another class dropped off cards.  And another.  By midday, I had a small stack of pencil and crayon drawings and birthday wishes, with the most inventive spellings of librarian. There was love in every card.

First mission accomplished.  Now to move on to changing a common message in those cards--"Thanks for letting us check out your books."  It may be my library program, but it's our library, our books, and how lucky we are to share this space and these stories together.

4 comments:

  1. How sweet! I can only imagine how many different spellings of library you received -- that small detail made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a dual-language campus too, Erica, so that just adds more phonetic fun to the iterations! They really did bring a smile to my face.

      Delete
  2. There is something about celebrating a birthday in school that is special. Mine is in early October, so the kids were not quite sure about me yet. I usually brought in angel food cupcakes that I made. Most years I received a hand made card or two the day after. I love the descriptions of all the drop-offs you received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a twist of fate. I rarely got anything as a resource teacher, and now I get celebrated by a whole school!

      Delete