Saturday, March 25, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 25: Where I'm from

 

I attended a SoulCollage session this morning.  After creating our Spring-themed cards, we were invited to write a poem using a template fashioned after George Ella Lyon’s poem, Where I’m From.  My card, pictured at the end, meant one thing to me before I wrote the poem, and then carried a different meaning after writing.  My poem, first:

I am from busy hands
From Harlequin romances and Salem cigarettes

I am from the third culture,
peripatetic, surreal, overwhelming

I am from tomatoes
homegrown in a temporary garden

I'm from Sunday dinners and sightseeing
From Anns and Jims and Edwards and Williams 
and a Pearl

I'm from the tight-lipped, and
arguments behind closed bedroom doors
From Santa and the Tooth Fairy

I'm from rituals, incense, holy water and rosaries
I'm a Parisian from Ireland and Hungary
mashed potatoes and pierogies

From the bottle blonde and blue eyeshadow
The cat-eye glasses and stashed fabric and yarn

Memories filed in cabinets and frames, news clippings and
stories told at funerals and weddings

I am from the nurturers of life.

Card by Christine Margocs, 3/25/23

When I made the card, I read it as the springtime demands of mothers and educators against the background of rebirth and blooming.  After writing the poem, I could see the people who nurtured our family tree through the generations.

You can find out more about SoulCollage, and find a facilitator near you, at https://soulcollage.com/ .


3 comments:

  1. You have fascinated me with this idea of SoulCollage. Love the card picture, the focus on mothers and nurturers. I am awed by the path your writing took, how your interpretation of the card changed as your writing progressed. For me, this is one of the most healing aspects of some of my retrospective writing - that I end up somewhere new. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the I Am poems and yours is amazing. What a gorgeous collage! Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem and art combine into a beautiful slice.

    ReplyDelete