Sunday, March 5, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 5: A little bit wiser...?

Another trip around the sun, another year of learning and growing.  This is the list I've come up with as I sit and ponder over this past year.
  • Time in nature is essential for my well-being.  I need quiet time in a forest, by a seaside, even just driving backroads through the countryside with the sunroof open and windows cracked.
  • These last few years have really knocked the playfulness out of me.  I will be actively searching for it this coming year.  I suspect creative pursuits and spending more time outdoors will be part of the antidote.
  • The older I get, the better I become at listening, especially to the message under the words...but I still need to grow in that skill.
  • It's okay to set boundaries and not listen sometimes, too. 
  • "Everything is consequences."  A quote from The Girl Who Drank the Moon that so very aptly fits this time in my life.  Where I am at right now is a consequence of everything that has gone on before, most of it my responsibility.
  • It's my responsibility to change things for better consequences in my future.
  • It's important to pause and celebrate and breathe.  
  • Dopamine dressing--so that's the name for what I've been doing all these years?  (And the reason for the piles of clothes I need to declutter, too...)
  • Purple hair may just be my look for life.
  • You are never too old for stickers and glitter nail polish.
  • I need to take advantage of this thing called "summer break", and really take a break this summer.  Luckily, I have friends who are holding me accountable for this.
  • Great colleagues help many any job less stressful.
  • Keeping a gratitude journal is as essential to my well-being as water and sunlight.
Fifty-seven years of learning, with hopefully a few more decades ahead to keep at it!  

6 comments:

  1. Love that this post is a way to pause and celebrate! Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday wishes! I did nothing but celebrate today--much needed time off!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! I love this advice to self. “Everything is consequence” is brilliant. Like you, I need nature. I’d love to get away by myself w/ no tech for a long weekend. I remember you wrote about such a retreat a while back. I’m sure you have many more years to twirl around the sun. Enjoy the next trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! I missed out on my scheduled cabin time due to the ice storm in February. I'm definitely going to schedule one again soon, hopefully in May or June.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday, Chris! Your list reminds me of Mr. Browne's precepts in Wonder. Time in nature IS essential for well-being; I find much healing and restorative power just in birds, not to mention the rest of the marvels. Truth about glitter nail polish - Ihave it on my toes right now! And these two biggies: summer break - yes - make it a real one (i am living for it myself); and great colleagues who make the job less stressful...don't know what I'd do without my great team. Saving grace. I hope you've had a great day - I celebrate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran! And oooh, I am going to have to try glitter polish on my toes next. My husband took me for a nice long drive in the country this afternoon--miles of Texas ranches, cedar trees, cows, sheep...and zebras! So nice to just be in the moment and enjoy the ride. Thanks for the birthday wishes; hang in there til summer!

      Delete