Tuesday, March 21, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 21: Reenlisting

Reenlisting is a big deal in the military culture, one of those topics peculiar to the career (although now that I think about it, not unlike the contracts of pro sports players or Hollywood actors--with a lot less compensation). When we BRATs were old enough to understand the process, it became a topic of conversation at school, as in "Hey, my dad reenlisted yesterday."  "Yeah, mine's talking about whether or not he'll re-up next year." (It was mostly dads, back then.)  We knew it was a big deal, because it would determine the course of our family's lives for the next three to four years--where we would live, even whether our dad would be with us or not.

I thought about that as the Google form went out yesterday to communicate our employment intentions for next year.  We have a few more options than my father did, I think; his was a simple yes or no, the next steps coming at the whim of the Department of Defense.  Ours were outlined in multiple choice.  Are we returning to this school, applying for another in-district, or resigning altogether? If we're returning, is there another placement we would prefer?  What are our top three choices?  What certifications support that placement? 

My current position is the one I plan on retiring from, so it makes it easy to list my top three placements:  Library, library, library.  If the contract is offered (I never assume), I'll be reenlisting for another year at the circulation desk.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you compare and contrast your dad's military choices to your own at this time. Along with learning about another profession, I realize how similar retaining employees is. My favorite line: "Library, library, library" as you list your 3 top placements! Fingers crossed that you ge tyour reenlisting top choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to do this recently, Chris...and like you, I plan on reenlisting but I really hope to hear more of a vision for my role(s) next year under new management (so to speak). Some things need.to change. It is amazing to me that the military had a simpler process...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Schools need awesome librarians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great analogy. Love that you love your job - as evidenced by “library library library!” ;-)

    ReplyDelete