Tuesday, March 28, 2023

SOLSC '23 Day 28: It's me

 

It's a case of the right book at the right time.

I'm reading Atomic Habits by James Clear.  It's been sitting on my TBR pile since December 2019.  There have been several attempts at starting and restarting this book, but it wasn't until I made it my morning reading this month (habit!) that I've made any headway on it.  One chapter each day, steady as she goes.  This time, I'll finish it.

The farther along I get, the more Taylor Swift's words start to accompany my reading:

It's me, hi, I'm the problem, it's me
At tea time, everybody agrees
I'll stare directly at the sun but never in the mirror
It must be exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero*

As a teacher, I'm really good at constantly reinforcing routines and habits.  Please walk in a line to make room for others in the hallway.  Inside voices, so you can hear instructions.  Please use your shelf markers to keep books in their homes until they go on vacation with you.

I'm not saying that I don't have good habits--I do.  I wake up early on workdays to center my introverted self in quiet before I act extraverted all day for my job.  I add collagen to my coffee, take my vitamins most days, empty the dishwasher while my coffee is brewing, change the sheets on a regular basis.  I even plan my work outfits for the week on Sundays--one less decision to make each day.

But the stuff that really, really matters?  Like moving my body to keep it healthy, eating lots of veggies and fruit, saving more money that I'll need to retire instead of spending it on things I want now?  Decluttering things I don't need, instead of adding even more stuff?

It's me...hi...I'm the problem.  Or at least, the bad habits I've chosen to meet my primal needs to reduce anxiety and fit in are the problem, according to Clear.  

Looks like what I need is more good habits.  Maybe then, I won't be so exhausted by my furtive avoidance of the mirror.  Maybe if I use my teacher voice in my self-talk...Please delete that retail email and read a fun book from your TBR pile.  Go for a walk then eat an apple--you'll feel better.  Listen to some fun music and clean the house.  Get off the screen, and call a friend or crochet instead.  Go to bed earlier so you aren't so tired in the morning.  I can be the solution, instead of the problem--imagine that.



*Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Jack Michael Antonoff / Taylor Alison Swift
Anti-Hero lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group


7 comments:

  1. I love ATOMIC HABITS. It helped me ditch an unhealthy habit I had for a decade. There was something I was eating that wasn't a healthy choice for me, even though it checked off my healthy choice boxes. I used his strategy of making a contract with myself. If I ate that item, I couldn't buy books for a month. Well, it has worked for over a year. Now, the only problem is the number of books piling up around me. SMILE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to that strategy yet, Kate--but it sounds like one I may need to use as well! I am having an aha moment every day as I read this book...

      Delete
  2. Your post today has me thinking about how I can turn the voices in my head into self-help talk. You've captured so much about habits and the importance of doing important things like reading a good book. I do not know anything about Atomic Habits. It's on my list now! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, it's definitely a great read, especially for educators--not only for ourselves, but for our students. And the chapters are short, thankfully!

      Delete
  3. I think the paragraphs about all your good habits and then the one that follows--about the things that really matter--are so powerful. Definitely important for all of us to be considering. I've been meaning to read Atomic Habits--your post is pushing it up the TBR pile for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha. Little did I know when I wrote this post that I was already touching on what I read today--motion version action (am I really acting on a goal, or just going through the motions?). Every morning is an eye-opener as I read!

      Delete
  4. Chris, very often a book in my TBR pile sits gathering dust until something compels me to get it to it "now" - usually right when that book is most needed. I am going to have to add this one to my list, now. Love your connection to Swift's lyrics, and more importantly, your keen ability to self-assess. Those things that "really, really matter" send more anxiety spiraling through one's days... recently I had a talk with myself about to taking hold of one corner of needed change and starting there, otherwise I will be too overwhelmed to move, which is, of course, counterproductive. I believe in you, Chris - and please know how amazingly encouraging you and your words are!

    ReplyDelete