Thursday, April 6, 2023

Spiritual Journey Thursday: You can't take the Catholic out of the girl

 

Ruth is hosting this month, and has asked us to  
reflect on Maundy Thursday and 
the origins of a personal spiritual practice 
this Spiritual Journey Thursday.
Her post is here.

I miss the incense.

I miss the feel
of water on my fingertip
from a cool marble basin
finger to forehead
to sternum
left shoulder,
right shoulder,
sealed on the lips.

I miss the moment
of reverence caused
by genuflection
the meditative quiet--
that I preferred to 
preludes on the organ--
that forced me to stop
breathe
listen
and simply absorb.

I miss the rustle
of whisper-thin missal pages
the cadence of common prayers
the peace that comes with
being apart from the world
even for just an hour, and
being a part of a global
community.

I don't miss
the patriarchy
the feeling less-than
the dogma that
welcomes to the table
only those who jump through
man-made hoops
insisting on intermediaries
between me and
my Creatrix.

But I do miss
the ritual 
and
the incense.

*********

I have kept the Church of my childhood at arm's length for almost two decades, but you wouldn't know it if you visited my home.  There are crosses over the main door and all the bedroom doors (the risen, not crucified, Christ is on the children's bedroom crosses; we are a faith based on resurrection, after all).  An old ceramic bust of the Virgin Mary hangs by the front door, her nose slightly chipped, most likely during a California tremor.  Dried palm leaves are tucked behind a mirror.  A large wooden rosary hangs on the wall between the dining and living rooms, and a collection of rosaries hangs by my desk in the study.

Praying the rosary is a meditation I resort to in times of unrest and weariness.  I very rarely follow the Mysteries; more often, I choose a person to pray for with each Hail Mary.  If I'm worried about rushing, I purposely recite the repeated prayers in French, which makes me slow down.

This Good Friday, I plan on taking a quiet moment to choose a rosary from my collection, pause, breathe, and pray.

*************

It is such a holy season.  My Islamic friends are observing Ramadan, fasting from sunup to sundown and reflecting on transgressions and reparations.  My Jewish friends are celebrating Passover; I remember a time when one of the parishes we belonged to (we moved a lot) celebrated a Seder meal with a nearby synagogue for Maundy Thursday.  Jesus was Jewish, after all.  Our traditions are so closely intertwined; it's a shame that our religions are often used as the basis for exclusion, shame, and violence.

I'll ponder that in prayer, beads in hand, tomorrow.  And maybe light some incense, too.

10 comments:

  1. Chris, I enjoyed reading your poetry post. It was enlightening to hear your religious backstory. May your Good Friday bring you reflective time and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to have some contemplative moments, Carol, with rosary in hand and incense burning. I need to remember to repeat that activity more often. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  2. Chris, those rituals are ingrained in us from childhood on up. I agree with you that traditions of every religion are intertwined. There is only one God. How we choose to worship doesn't make us right and everybody else wrong. That's not the commandment Jesus taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob, for bringing it back to the one commandment we all share. Let's hope we collectively and actively get better at practicing it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this, Chris, and for our "posts-conversation." I have always felt that being Catholic is as much an ethnicity as a religion. Growing up, I had no idea where my Irish/Italian traditions ended and my Catholic ones began. And this afternoon, as I read this, I could feel a longing...knowing I'm missing something that made this day different than all the others. I don't miss incense or rosaries or crosses...But I do miss the coming together for an hour in community, the shared prayers, the smell of lighted candles, the familiar colors of changing liturgical seasons. We're human. We use ritual to mark moments, to infuse them with meaning. There's no sense in trying to run from that, I suppose. Blessings of peace and yes- resurrection joy, the hope of the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you are spot on with the ethnicity comparison, I think! It's like the secularization of the holy-days, in a way. I hope you are able to find the seasonal rhythms and rituals to feed your soul.

      Delete
  4. Chris: I really really love your poem. Oh yes, the things we miss. I miss my Lutheran liturgy, each Sunday singing "Create in me a clean heart, O God..." Your poem is so tactile and lovely. Our church has been through several break-ups, and at this point I am out of energy for fighting or finding a new church. I stay and do what I can, and accept the brokenness. Thank you for your lovely sharing of your journey. I wish you peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, it may have seemed easy to stop attending Mass, but it took a lot of soul-searching--and a visit with a nondenominational spiritual director--behind the scenes. I do believe it was the healthiest choice for our family. But it doesn't keep the sensory memories at bay. I wish you peace in your journey to make your Church your home again.

      Delete
  5. Chris, I love how your home is filled with reminders of your faith. I've had some experience with these rituals. I taught at a Catholic girls' school in Tulsa for two years right after I married. I miss the incense, the music, and the pause in our busy school days to attend chapel. Your poem is a wonderful reminder of rituals missed and a reminder of what you don't miss.
    I hope you had precious time to pause, breathe and pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have time, Ramona. Lighting the incense and settling into the rhythm of the prayers, thinking of loved ones here and passed on with each bead was comforting. I hope your Easter had time for joyous and thoughtful reflection, too.

      Delete