Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Tuesday Slice: Happy School Librarians' Day!

 

"Good morning!  Bienvenidos!  Welcome back!  Happy April!  Happy School Library Month!" I said to students from my duty station in the hallway yesterday morning.  "Can you imagine our school without a library?"

"NO!" was the emphatic answer, on their way to class.

This is the month when I pause and celebrate.  I look around the library, and see the positive changes in the physical space and the collection--and see how far we need to go, because maintaining a relevant collection is a never-ending process.  I think about the books we've shared, lessons I've taught, research I've supported.  I say a prayer of gratitude for my assistant, who is a master at shelf-keeping and reminding me to breathe, drink water, and go to the bathroom before she leaves for lunch duty.

I think of the students who smile when they say "We've got library tomorrow!" and the teachers who stop by for chocolate on their way to pick up kids from the cafeteria--or to use the office or closet for a much-needed moment of private recomposure.  There have been baby showers held in this space, club meetings, professional development.  Twice-yearly book fairs transform the library into bookstores for a week at a time.  Interventionists and counselors pop in with a student or two in between class visits, taking advantage of quiet corners and comfy seating.  And then there's the twenty-seven classes of preK through fifth grade students who visit every week for read-alouds, lessons, and checkout.

Yep, I'm with you, kids.  I can't imagine our school without a library, either.   

3 comments:

  1. Yes to everything you share in this post! Libraries are the heart of a school. From their inviting environment to the joy of hearing a book read aloud, libraries are vital! Happy National Library Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me so sad as our district made the decision to eliminate librarians and libraries and add a traveling STEM teacher. Your post is how libraries are meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to all of this! We had some young adults last week hosting a fundraiser. Guess where they went during their down time? They found the library, busted out the maker space supplies, made a collage, AND stayed late to finish a thousand piece puzzle. College-aged kids and they loved being there.

    ReplyDelete