Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Tuesday Slice: Card circles

 

Back when the year was
barely half-a-day old
I drew my cards

Two for each month
one crystal, one wisdom

Not fortune-telling, but
lenses, ways to view
life and problems and
opportunities

I start each month 
looking at the images
seeing how they fit
my circumstances
or how they don't
the latter suggesting
change, or at least
a new perspective

This month
both cards are
circles

Wheel of Fortune
and
Round and Round

Together they offer
opportunities to change,
reexamining cycles
breaking habits 
that don't benefit me
anymore, or at least
for right now

I'm starting with
deleting emails
about 
summer
professional 
development
ignoring
extra-duty
summer
signups

Breaking the cycle
of unpaid work
in June, July...


though I know it 
will happen,
anyway.
It always does,
because there's always
more to do.

4 comments:

  1. Chris, this is a thoughtful poem with wonderful self-care ideas. I hope you break the cycle and bring a new look into your summer life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer was a long time coming, Carol; there seems to have been little break in work since the pandemic began. Hoping June is rejuvenating!

      Delete
  2. I re-read your first two lines over and over...so much possibility there that can go in so many directions. I hope you print this and post it everywhere. You know where to find me if you need to fill in the time you'd normally use for summer PD. It's time to say adios to shortening a well-deserved summer break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to plan some restaurant-patio time, Alice! And some RRPL writing time, too.

      Delete