Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Tuesday Slice: Putting the year to bed

 
I am looking forward
to wide open days

waking up an hour before sunrise,
instead of two

making personal decisions,
instead of professional ones

tending my own spaces,
instead of a public one

writing for myself,
instead of writing for others

creating for myself,
instead of creating for others

taking care of myself,
instead of taking care of others.

But first
the year must be put to bed.

Books found
numbers tallied
meetings held
plans made
spaces cleaned
reports run
accounts cleared
forms signed
and then, finally,
doors locked.

The school year
will be tucked in tight
and I will wake up
the parts of me
that were laid to rest
at the first bell.

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely way to re-awaken from the first bell putting self to bed, and then the last day: reviving energy and soul and rest all at once. This is the last week for our teachers - four days of PL, and then they're off for the summer! I'm a 210 instead of a 190, so my contract runs through most of June. I'm counting the days, too....I just have a little ways to go still...... I'm cheering for those who are off to enjoy days, and I'll be seeing all those fabulous trips coming up on Facebook so I can see the joy of vacation from all the points that people are going.

    ReplyDelete