Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Tuesday Slice: The eyes have it

I really couldn't afford it.  The holidays have left me strapped for cash, and I am counting pennies until payday.  

But the idea of making a SoulCollage© card to set intentions and gain insight for an entire year intrigued me.  I pulled out my card journal, and realized I had not made a single card in 2017.  How did that happen, especially since I had set a goal to make twelve cards last year?

Oh, because last year was a wash, going by in an unfocused, hazy, reactive blur.  Yep, I needed to go to this workshop, if only to attempt to make 2018 a bit more productive.  And I sorely needed some creative time.

Stephanie greeted me warmly  despite my prolonged absence; I felt like the prodigal son returned home.  The room filled with a vibrant group of women.  We took our seats at tables already set with cutting mats and supplies. The process was explained, and Stephanie began the meditation.  We connected and reconnected to earth and sky as we quickly pulled images for each month and scribed our feelings and thoughts about each one.

A theme emerged in my chosen images:  eyes, all facing forward or looking to the right. Five of the images were animals, which is unusual for me (although the fall-colored owl was no surprise--owls are my favorite!).  Each set of eyes conveyed a different emotion--purposeful, steadfast, optimistic.  Happy-yet-wary, soul-piercing, wide-open and curious.  Saddened, dulled by hunger, accusatory, surprised.  And finally, a no-eyed jellyfish to wrap up the year.

Meditation and scribing done, it was time to fit all those images on a 5x8 inch card.  Trimming away these precious images was almost painful, but necessary--a life lesson in itself.

This card now sits on my desk, staring at me as I type this morning, daring me to focus this year, take it all in, be steadfast and optimistic and curious.  Melding the images with my One Word, the eyes are telling me "Enough!  Observe what is truly going on and make those necessary changes; we can see through your excuses.  You know what to do, so do it!".

Here's to a more focused, intentional 2018.  I'm looking forward to December, when I will relax and go with the flow, like an eyeless jellyfish floating in a warm current.
   

4 comments:

  1. This line resonated greatly: “Trimming away these precious images was almost painful, but necessary--a life lesson in itself.” I think that idea of reducing is important. Thank for several reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "windy dog" image, and that of the totem, were the hardest to trim. The dog is firmly planted on a grassy seaside cliff, blue sky above, all four paws on the ground. So wanted to keep that image intact! The totem had a wide open smile, but the eyes grabbed me first.

      Delete
  2. A person's eyes are what I usually notice first and remember most about a person; they intrigue me, as does your work here. What a fascinating "eye"-dea ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a chance to try SoulCollage, Fran, go for it. It isn't making art (even though the results can be beautiful), but making personal connections with images on cards that are meant to be revisited. I was really surprised that my card had a theme, but reading it, I know it's what I need this year!

      Delete