Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Tuesday Slice: The night before the morning after

I tend to be an early-morning slicer.  Words flow more easily when I'm semi-coherent, barely a half cup of coffee consumed, inhibitions be damned.

Then I started reading The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod.  The basic gist is that by rising a bit earlier and devoting time to self-improvement activities, your life will be more fulfilling in all sorts of ways.

I was already getting up at 430a to try and accommodate my tendency to wake up slowly, with time to write and exercise and prepare for work without rushing.  Except that I was always rushing, especially on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays--my blog writing days.  And my exercise routine was, well, less than routine.  So I've pushed back my alarm to 410a.  

It hasn't been too hard of a transition.  Mornings go fairly smoothly, and I have exercised more often.  I've also added meditation and reading, which are lovely ways to start the day.  The downside is that these new practices are eating into my writing time.

The good news is that now I'm semi-coherent, barely-awake by seven-thirty in the evening.  Since I limit caffeine after six p.m, it seems to be the perfect time to write; I'll review it in the morning and post then.  Hitting the "save" button in 3, 2, 1....

10 comments:

  1. I keep hearing about this book.
    Love the title of this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning! Yes, it's an interesting premise. My only problem with the early wakeups is going to bed earlier to get the sleep I truly need....yawn.

      Delete
  2. That is an early start but sounds like a lovely way to start your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kathleen! I have enjoyed the time to meditate, visualize, and read, even if just for a few minutes. I'm thinking that I'll accomplish even more when I give up FB for Lent. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I nearly always write my Tuesday slice Monday evening, schedule it to post at midnight, and long to TWT whenever I awaken, which was 3:00 am today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I can't even imagine getting up at 3a! I've tried scheduling my posts before, but it didn't work--glitch or user error, not sure. May try it again--thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. I've started my posts even sooner, knowing how snarled the beginning of my week can be - and to try to do justice to the writing. I can't slap it together. I have to think and rethink ... it takes time! Words of wisdom here. The book sounds very appealing also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your writing is divine, Fran. My muse is found most often in the deadline. One of these days, I hope to write like you do, with forethought, intention, and time for revision!

      Delete
  5. I am a morning person by nature, but I can't imagine getting up at 4:10! I am going to look for Hal Elrod's book. Maybe I can make more of my mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of getting up earlier has a real draw for me, but the getting to bed earlier on the flip side in the evening, seems to be impossible. I'm a night owl, I guess. If I read the book, can I change my ways?

    ReplyDelete