Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Tuesday Slice: I'm not alone

I am typing this from a conference table in a ballroom at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center, surrounded by hundreds of fellow librarians who arrived a day early to attend Tech Camp. 

For the next three and a half days, thousands of school, public, and academic librarians from all over Texas (and beyond) will converge here to learn, collaborate, and visit with hundreds of vendors, all for the sole purpose of bettering our professional selves and our library programs.

This is daunting for my introverted self! Come Friday, I will be ready for my three hour solo road trip back to Austin, to decompress and reflect on what I have learned.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful opportunity! I hope that you'll share more about this conference and your take-aways!

    I agree that the drive home from conferences is such a great time to reflect and relax after such a busy learning time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to work in a district that promotes sending librarians to this annual conference. I will share with my next Slice, for sure!

      Delete
  2. What a great opportunity to learn. Visiting all the vendors alone is a learning curve. I look forward to reading about what you learn. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice! It is always a fruitful, yet exhausting, venture. Getting pickier with my vendor time, too!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps by venturing outside of your comfort zone, you will be rewarded with a small unexpected pleasure or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get the pleasure of connecting with colleagues in new ways, Karen. I'm always okay "in the moment", but just drained afterward. The life of an introvert!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your conference. I'm speaking at the Idaho library conference here on May 4, and I'm nervous already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I think librarians make for a great audience. I imagine you will be received warmly!

      Delete
  5. So great to have professional learning opportunities like this! Savor them, as they have the capability to add some bricks to who you are. Safe travels back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lanny! Yes, I have pages and pages of notes to transcribe and share. And the drive to and from was really quite nice...minus the ever-present construction on IH35.

      Delete