Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Down for fourteen

The last two weeks have beaten me 

A defeated boxer lying in the ring while
The contender paces the mat
The referee counts me down

After a few big punches
The final blow
A mere tap on the cheek

Enough to make my stomach,
My heart, my tears
Fall to the mat

If I stay down long enough
Will the pounding stop?

**********
Do you ever have weeks where you are pushing through, dealing with one stressor after another, thinking you're handling it all until just one more thing pushes you over?  During the last two weeks, I've mourned the death of a good friend; moved my child from college dorm to home; helped him get ready to travel to Japan; administered standardized testing; dealt with health insurance claims and bills; faced deadlines and stayed late at work; mourned the school shooting here in Texas and fumed over inane politician responses; received distressing news about positions being cut in our district; and, for the last blow, got into a fender bender last night--which means car insurance claims to manage.

Any one, two, or even three of these things I could handle.  The count is at nine...Enough is enough!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot to deal with. I hope there is a time you can look forward to without all the noise and tragedy. I hope you have friends and love ones who can lift you out of the pit. I hope there are people giving back to you the same way you selflessly give. It's a hard time of the year to be so depleted. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... enough is enough! When our lives are lived fully and we touch so many, there are times like this. I'm praying strength and wisdom for you... and peaceful days the rest of this week. My mom had a saying, and I've found it helpful at times: "This too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete