Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Post-Mother's Day reflection

I am one lucky mom.  Despite my mistakes, my missteps, my less-than-loving moments these walls have witnessed as my children were growing up, they are marvelous human beings.

My first-born, my preemie, is wise beyond her years; her NICU nurses knew she possessed an old soul before she left the hospital.  Goal-oriented and adventuresome--these qualities helped her land a percussion spot in the middle school band, join varied clubs in high school, choose a small private college for her degree, learn Japanese, and move to Japan to work, learn, and explore.

My second-born is my headstrong, empathetic deep thinker.  Gentle with children and animals, he feels and loves fiercely. His opinions are formed by experience. He has weathered several physical storms in his young life--hand surgeries, sensory struggles, losing his voice for two years.  He began college in the midst of recovering from major jaw surgery, and managed to not only survive his freshman year, but thrive, finding his place in a service fraternity and returning to his music when he was healed.  

We have had our share of arguments, disappointments, door-slamming, and tears.  But birthdays have always been celebrated, traditions kept, I-love-yous exchanged.  There have been worries and warnings, hugs and hurrahs. 

And my children still want to come home, when they can.  I hope that never changes. 

3 comments:

  1. I needed this post. You have me crying - ugly crying! My oldest is graduating from high school. So often I wonder, will he want to come home? Did I yell too much? Hold on too tight? Will he remember our traditions? I am so proud and happy for him and still so unsure for us. Thank you for you honesty - it gives me hope and assurance all will be well.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think self-doubt is part of good parenting, Clare. I hope your experience will be similar to mine-amazed at how independent your child can be in college, proud of the choices they start to make to become who they are meant to be.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely reflection. I hope I know my children as well as you know yours by the time they leave our home. And I hope hope hope that they return, despite all the real-ness of our lives.

    ReplyDelete