Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Tossed and turned

Things that should be tossed:
Salad in a bowl
    Laundry into the hamper
Eight year old receipts
    A child requesting to fly in a pool
Shoes with holes in the soles
    Hay in need of drying
Twenty year old curriculum packets
    Grass seed on a failing lawn
Moldy bread
    Stuff with bad juju
Sandbags forming a levee

Things that should be turned:
Grilled cheese sandwich in a pan
    Page in a book
A new leaf
    Corner in recovery
Pirouetting ballerina
    Compost bin
Bingo ball cage
    Homework on time
Solitaire cards
    Light switch on or off   
Potter's wheel


Things that should not be tossed and turned:
My thoughts and body each night, these last weeks before my school year begins. 

    

6 comments:

  1. Your slice is like the game show $64,000 Pyramid meets the literary device zeugma. I love it, though I hope a better night's sleep turns up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up the word "zeugma"; thanks for another literary lesson today! And yes, I'm thinking I now need to add an evening meditation to my routine, or else begin the school year exhausted already.

      Delete
  2. What a winsome poem, full of simplicity, depth, humor and truth. I My favorite of your creative examples: The tossing of "stuff with bad juju" and turning a "corner in recovery." I am just sorry your restless nights have inspired it! Here's to rest for your busy mind so that your body can rest, too. Hard to do when gearing up for school - but so needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. It was fun thinking up the examples. As for the sleep, I don't remember it being this disturbed this early before the year begins...feeling a bit more discombobulated.

      Delete
  3. Love this! So creative and something I think I'd like to use with my students! I do hope you're able to get some rest though! I know that feeling all too well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, you could even base it on the $64,000 Pyramid game, as Brian referenced...and I hadn't even made that connection until he brought it up.

      Delete