Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Tuesday Slice: What I saw gave me hope

Our son was due to return from Japan via DFW International Airport this past Sunday, so my husband and I decided to make a weekend vacation out of the trip.  We checked into the Hilton DFW Lakes Friday evening, and quickly realized that it was, indeed, a conference center with at least two events going on--the SEMO Civic and Social Club reunion, and the national conference of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship in America.

The hotel lobby was expansive, with several "living areas" for small groups to gather.  For most of the weekend, the sofas and chairs were filled with people greeting each other, laughing, smiling, and telling stories.  After a Saturday of sightseeing and shopping in downtown Grapevine, my husband and I sat outside the hotel restaurant with cocktails and people-watched.  We didn't eavesdrop on the conversations, but sensed the camaraderie from facial expressions, body language, and laughter booming across the lobby; it was a heartwarming vignette.  We saw many of the conference attendees at breakfast as well, the Full Gospel businessmen identified by their lanyards and sitting at reserved tables.  We witnessed more smiles, "happy to see you" remarks, earnest conversations shared over eggs and bacon and fruit cups.

Why write about these conference-goers?

They made the hotel atmosphere politely jovial this weekend.  I've been in hotels with conferences before, and depending on the age and alcohol consumption of the attendees, the experience can be less than pleasant. The sense of fellowship was strong, and stepping into an elevator guaranteed you a "hello, how are you today?" greeting.

What struck me most, though, were the interracial interactions.  The Full Gospel attendees seemed almost evenly split between white and black men and families. I saw a black woman taking a selfie with a bearded white man. An elderly white gentleman walked over to the table next to ours at breakfast, patted a black man on the back and thanked him for coming to the conference.  A white man and a black man fully embraced by the elevators, happiness radiating from their smiles.

With the news of racial division dominating the media lately, this one weekend in a hotel in Grapevine, Texas gave me a glimmer of hope that we can come together to celebrate our common interests, regardless of the color of our skin. Maybe I just need to turn off the news, and pay more attention to what I see with my own eyes. 

4 comments:

  1. I love that last statement. I think it's an excellent idea. That's one thing I loved about my classroom. My kids saw each other as a person not as a certain race or religion. I needed to read this slice of joy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the company of happy conference-goers is a wonderful plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with your observation to "pay attention to what I see with my own eyes." Lately I've witnessed and experienced the most gracious acts between people of various colors and cultures. Sunny smiles, fine senses of humor ... people of different races helping one another. Don't see that on the news. Just saying. I am glad your conference was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo what Fran and Anna Maria said - your last line is incredibly powerful. What I live is not, in fact, what is on TV. I *know* that, but sometimes I need to *remember* it. Thanks for your observations and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete