Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Six years

The fifth graders arrived at the library door at the same time as the kindergarten class.  For the second week in a row, the elder students would accompany the five year olds into the Book Nook for a read-aloud, then on to the Everybody Fiction shelves to help wield shelf markers correctly and scan their books for checkout.

Welcoming these big and little bodies into the Book Nook, I took a moment to acknowledge this act of service by the fifth grade.  I also informed the kindergarteners that when I was a brand new librarian, those fifth graders were in kindergarten.  Looking up at the big kids in the back, I told them that we had grown up together, students and librarian, learning so much along the way.

They applauded, and my heart swelled.  

May year six be the best year yet.  

2 comments:

  1. I can feel that heart swell from here - and I am in Australia! I've always secretly wanted to be a school librarian, congrats on year six in my dream job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine! It's never too late, you know; I was a special education teacher and special ed meeting facilitator for twenty years before becoming a librarian. It is truly a wonderful, fulfilling job!

      Delete