Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Tuesday Slice: The holidays are different...and that's okay

We're dining out for Thanksgiving this year.  Seems to be an every-other-year event.  It's nice to enjoy the food and the company, but I do miss the leftovers.  We bought pared-down versions of our usual Thanksgiving meal to cook next weekend, just to have some turkey, stuffing, and cranberry jelly in the fridge.

Christmas will be different, too.  Our daughter and new-ish son-in-law will be joining us three days after Santa's usual visit.  You don't know how steeped in traditions your holiday is until you try to negotiate them on an altered timetable.  Does Santa still visit on the 25th?  Does Santa visit at all?  Do we open some of our gifts on the 25th, or all of them later, together?  Will the kids want to bake Jesus' birthday cake together--we all know the 25th really isn't his birthday, anyway--or will the youngest fly solo with that tradition again, so Santa has a piece on his usual night?  

We're letting our grown-up children answer most of those questions.  Our daughter wants her Japanese husband to experience the "Christmas crazy" in our house, as she's come to describe it from afar.  I don't know if I can just let the 25th go by without some of that Christmas magic happening; I'd rather celebrate twice.  Their father and I haven't talked about that yet.

Yes, the holidays will be different this year.  But the best parts remain the same--family, friends, and good food.  We are blessed, and grateful, and ready to celebrate together, no matter the location or the date on the calendar.

4 comments:

  1. So much changes over the years but it can be difficult. The traditions of the holidays changing has been a hard transition for me over the last couple of years. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it's been difficult for you. I hope that the good outweighs the bad with this transition. Maybe it's time to start new traditions...I'm thinking that will be happening for us this year.

      Delete
  2. Being together, even if it isn't the traditional sense, around a table is a blessing.
    We've had a really rough fall as a family. I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year, but I'm having it catered since I just started walking again after seven weeks on crutches. We'll probably get fancy disposable plates (which is NOT like me since I don't like unnecessary waste!) instead of using china so that the cleanup is more bearable. Thanksgiving won't look the way it typically does, but both sets of my kids grandparents will be around the table. Having a full house, even if it isn't with food I've prepared from scratch, is also a blessing.

    May your Thanksgiving and Christmas be an amazing time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my best Thanksgiving dinners was served on festive paper plates, since it coincided with my father and brother delivering my mother's china cabinet--with contents--and there was no way I was going to be able to unpack that AND cook a dinner. We've had catered, too, when my mother was ill and my father was still clowning in the Sun Bowl Parade. Here's to doing what you can, and letting others pitch in!

      Delete