Sunday, April 4, 2021

Abandoned Traditions: Spiritual Journey

I am late to this gathering, this writing of Spirit, due Maundy Thursday but penning on Easter Sunday instead.

I feel rather like the breathless women arriving at the tomb, just barely realizing what has happened.  Confused, saddened, angry perhaps at an incorrectly perceived injustice until the truth is revealed.

Several years ago, I drifted away from the Church of my childhood, taking my family along with me.  The suffocating patriarchy, the tedium and social politics experienced by my children in religious education, and my increased reading on the representation of the feminine in the Divine drove the wedge deep enough to impact our church attendance.  It didn't happen all at once, but eventually we all realized that much of the teachings just didn't align with how we needed to experience Divine presence.

We lost our religion, but not our faith.  We still said grace, blessed each other at bedtime, performed service projects in lieu of crowded Christmas Mass, made birthday cakes for Jesus on Christmas Eves and looked for the baby in the manger on the mantel on Christmas mornings, placed there by Santa (who enjoyed his slice of cake instead of a cookie).  Sometimes we made Lenten resolutions, trying to focus more on positive acts than on the giving up of chocolate.  We had special dinners at Easter.  But the children have grown and are (mostly) flown from the nest, and so the home traditions are going by the wayside.

During this transition, I needed a faith practice that was inclusive of all my Christian, Hindu, Muslim, and Jewish friends.  I needed to hear of a God who loved all of His/Her children, even my gay relatives and friends.  The God of Love, who invites all to the table, sinners and saints, no password needed.  I found Her through books--Nadia Bolz Weber's stories of her progressive Lutheran church, Sue Monk Kidd's awakening in The Dance of the Dissident Daughter  and the bibliography she provides.  There were discussions with friends of faith and even a spiritual director, all affirming this questioning as spiritual growth.

I feel like my faith has grown as the years have passed.  I believe in the power of prayer, especially those of my Celtic forebears which often draw upon the wonders of this Creation, connecting Heaven and Earth.  I experience the Divine in beautiful sunsets, birds at my feeder, the many-hued faces of my students, the sharing of good food and soul-filling conversation.  Absolution is given with heartfelt apologies and changed behavior, not in closed cabinets with curtained screens.  Communion is bringing a cake to the party, canned goods to the food bank collection.  Confirmation is found each morning in the granting of one more day to try and get it right and gratitude written in a journal at bedtime.  Matrimonial blessings are conferred in the smiles of loved ones wishing the new couple every good thing in their promised partnership, no matter the setting.

At the same time, I have a longing for the traditions of the old Church.  I miss the scent of incense, the sprinkling of Holy Water, the communal Lord's Prayer.  I miss the quiet of the sanctuary between Masses, the feeling of standing on sacred ground, the removal from the everyday for just an hour to focus on the Divine.

And so I have become an on-again, off-again seeker. I am truly walking this Spiritual Journey.  Here's hoping that the joining of this group of writers as they explore Spirit each month will be a new beginning, a brighter light shining on my dulling practices of faith.

Happy Easter.


12 comments:

  1. First, Chris: Welcome to the Spiritual Journey group! I am thrilled that you decided to take this plunge...and so courageously, into such deep waters. Next, as to this vast distinction between religion and faith: Naturally they were not meant to be so exclusive, in the beginning. Ancient ritual observances were meant to be acts of reverence and worship, born of the faith - the belief - in the individual heart. Thy are shrouded in mystery and awe. At our best, we know they're humanity's honest but feeble attempt to honor the life-giving force so beyond our comprehension. They are testimony to the fact that we are spiritual creatures as well as physical. Yet the human heart, while longing for the Divine, is a constant battleground...I think of lines from C.S. Lewis' 'Screwtape Proposes a Toast' on how humans never go so wrong as at the the very steps of the altar. At this point I must refrain from writing a whole post in response to the many chords you strike here (!!). I will leave on the sacred nature of love, for that is where true religion, faith, and the holy meet - and to which you have alluded, Chris: It comes down to loving the Lord God with all one's heart, soul, mind, and strength, and loving your neighbor as yourself. So simple, isn't it. Yet so infinitely hard. Thank you for the gifts of your trust, your amazing courage, your vulnerability - and your faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I must go and revisit my boxed set of Lewis' books on Spirit, tucked behind a myriad of hand-sized prayer booklets (and gathering dust, it's been that long). The spiritual director I met with at an ecumenical center I used to frequent pre-COVID was gently affirming of the split from Church that I was experiencing at the time, and mentioned that one day I might find myself back there, and that was okay, too. You're spot on with the reference to reverence, though the introvert in me does not need large-group communal worship to feed my soul; I tend to get lost in that sea, which may be the reason I haven't sought out another church home. You've given me a lot to ponder too, Fran!

      Delete
  2. Welcome, Chris! Thank you for sharing about your journey! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! Same here. I plan on spending time this weekend reading your posts to catch up a bit.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post and for joining us, Chris. The spirit of love and grace unites us. Welcome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you've echoed my thoughts on unity. We are so much more alike than different!

      Delete
  4. So much of what you write here resonates with me. We are all on a spiritual journey. The exploration is the journey. I'm glad you have joined us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I'm glad I wasn't too off base with my first group post...it did feel like I needed to get it all out there, as a baseline. Looking forward to where this writing will take me.

      Delete
  5. Welcome, Chris, to our gathering of seekers. This group brings words of solace, new-to-me music, and the opportunity to learn from each other. I look forward to becoming better acquainted as we journey together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ramona. I have a feeling this group, this writing and sharing will be a breath of fresh air in my dusty practice of faith.

      Delete
  6. Chris, when Fran told us that you were joining our spiritual journey group, I was delighted. You have added your honest thoughts and shared your vulnerabilty with all of us. I for one value your words when added to ours will help us all grow as reflective beings. As far as being late to this gathering, I have been sliding past deadlines and trying to eek in some writing time during my life move. Faith is what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I treasure this warm welcome. I am definitely following in my mother's footsteps; she said she was called "The Heretic" in her Catholic high school for daring to ask the nuns "Why?". The older I get, the more I see how we as people seem to overcomplicate things...and that includes religion. I look forward to writings and discussions of Love and acts of faith that bring joy, not division.

      Delete