Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Tuesday Slice: Spring is annoying

 

Spring has been
annoying this year

I hung a birdfeeder
for the first time ever
Bought spicy birdseed to
keep the squirrels away
I hoped to see all kinds of
birds at the feeder, the ones
I see in my trees all the time
But the mourning doves are such
bullies, that only the random chickadee or
blue jay gets a bite.

The squirrels may be
staying away from the feeder, but
They are enjoying the fresh soil in
the containers on my porch and patio
Throwing dirt all over as they plant who 
knows what, to be identified when the random
sprouts appear next to my ivy, lavender, random
flowering plants that I bought only because the sticker
said they would tolerate part shade, but they
are annuals, and I prefer perennials as
a lazy gardener.

It's a good thing the rose bush
is blooming profusely for the very first time,
its foliage finally covering the sight of the trash cans
(its purpose from the beginning)
And there's a tomato planted on the back porch
which should do well if I can keep the squirrels out of it.
The milkweed looks promising, if it can grow fast enough to
accommodate the butterflies when they pass through soon
But I'm not hopeful, as they aren't even two inches 
The brightly colored diners will be here any minute on
their way back from Mexico.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you start off this piece, straight to the point. Sounds like you've done the right things if only everything would grow as we think it should. And those pesky squirrels would stay away. Gardening seems so simple. Sort of like writing. Until you get started.

    I put carrot seed packets in my kids' Easter baskets this year, only to find out they're finicky (the seeds) and we missed the planting window by a few weeks. With the crazy weather though, might as well plant them anyway to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the comparison to writing, Alice. Yes, it should be simple--soil, sunshine, water. And stringing words together. But both can be hijacked by outside forces!

      Delete
  2. Spring HAS been rather annoying this year in my neck of the wood as well, Chris - but mostly due to teasing with a balmy day followed by several chilly ones. Just enough to give a person a sniffle. I've seen an abundance of mourning doves, but I've never even realized they can be such bullies! Blue jays, I knew...you have me smiling at the squirrels throwing dirt everywhere (sorry, it's their glee I'm envisioning) and at your confession of being "a lazy gardener". I am rather impressed, though, at your skillful planning of roses that are serving their practical purpose so well, and milkweed, even if it isn't up to alluring those butterflies yet - you've done quite a lot to welcome the charms of spring! I expect some unexpected charms to appear. Kinda like when you show up for the writing, the writing shows up for you...I see a writing analogy has been referenced already!...or like those secrets planted by the squirrels, revealing themselves in time...you reached out to Nature so I know she'll respond in kind to you with her own unique gifts. Such a visual post - I can see it all - and your thoughts flow so perfectly, line by line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I have a disdain for the squirrels, ever since one took up residence in our house while we were away in Tokyo...as for the roses, that placement was courtesy of a landscaper, the biggest expense we made on our house as of yet, courtesy of the inheritance I got from my grandfather. It's been rather scraggly until this year, and I bought supplies to move it to the backyard--but for now it will stay, since it's doing its job. The milkweed is really coming along--so there's still hope there!

      Delete