Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Bibliotherapy

The books are scattered throughout the house
          Girl, Wash Your Face
                          The Soul of Money
  Cluttered Mess to Organized Success
              A Religion of One's Own
                                   Steal Like an Artist
     Women Food and God
                       The Subtle Art of Not Giving a ****
      The Wild Card
                      A Whole New Mind
   Eat for Health
              Decluttering at the Speed of Life
                          The Miracle Morning
         The Sacred Enneagram
                          The Artist's Way
The Four Tendencies
         Happy Teachers Change the World
                The Five Second Rule
The Healthy You Diet
                       My Shining Year Life Workbook
Peace and Plenty:  Finding Your Path to Financial Serenity
            Find Your Why
     Deep Work:  Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

The list goes on, and on, and on.
Most remain half-read, unread, like prescriptions gathered
By a chronically ill patient
Am I worried about the side-effects
Afraid to confront my own demons
Is it success that scares me?

Or am I afraid that the answers aren't really there at all...
Maybe the demons know the truth--and the cure.

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!!
    Please know that you are loved.
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh, as did your dad's comment. I think I have a similar addiction! But mostly just to cleaning and decluttering books. Which then sit around gathering dust and cluttering up the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigosh, the decluttering books adding to the clutter. I know that too well! Nice to know I'm in good company.

      Delete
  3. Your dad’s comment cracked me up. Maybe he can organize a family intervention!

    BTW: I have some of the same books. I put “The Art of Not Giving a ****” in my end of year white elephant book grab. One of my VP’s got it; then my department head stole it but had to promise to share it w/ the VP. This all took place in my AP Lit & Comp class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, we share a common language. I have rarely met a self-help book I didn't like. Several I skimmed rather than read so I feel for you. I suppose they are all there for a reason and when you clear some out you will also have grounds for doing so.

    ReplyDelete