Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Five days in

The fifth official day of my summer break, and I've yet to decompress.  Instead, I've spent the last two nights tossing and turning, thoughts of work-related and personal tasks that must be completed by summer's end piling one on top of the other in my sleep-deprived mind.  

Last night, the to-do list had a soundtrack, prompted by my first voice lesson yesterday.  My instructor and I decided I'd work on Anna Nalick's "Breathe 2 a.m." , and it kept replaying in my head, along with other songs I'd like to try. I finally gave up trying to sleep and retired to the couch, checking my email on my phone and texting my son in Japan.  Scrolling through Facebook posts made me drowsy, and I managed to squeeze in a couple more hours of shut-eye before waking up an hour later than I really wanted to.

Dental appointment this morning, working in the library tomorrow morning...maybe Thursday will bring some respite?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, it can be challenging to find that sweet summer spot. Here's to reaching respite really soon. You sound like it's much needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the term "sweet summer spot", Ramona. I hope to find it soon!

      Delete
  2. It always takes me a while to realize it is really summer break and find my rhythm. We still have a week to go. I am looking forward to finding my summer rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find yours quickly, so there's more of it to enjoy.

      Delete
  3. Today is my first day of vacation . It dawned dark and dreary. I got up and went straight to my laptop to write. Joy. BUT ... I know how quickly the time passes and I know that's part of what's behind your restlessness, a fear, of sorts, that the break isn't really going to be a break, and that you won't get to things you really want to. I also know and recognize that it takes a while to adjust to being out of the grind of being so mentally and physically busy. I remember this best after finishing my degree while also working and being a mom ... I hand't realized how the schoolwork had been driving me for so long. I'd given so much of myself to it. I felt lost for a few days, until my mind tired of the "lostness" and the ebb and flow of life filled in those holes. I told my kids this week that life is really just a series of adjustments, one after the other, sometimes many at once. Here's to your mind finding a resting place soon, and to you savoring those voice lessons - how exciting! I am impressed that you seek to develop your voice with music as well as in written words. Such expressive, creative outlets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for echoing my summer angst, Fran! As I'm writing this on Wednesday, up early to greet my volunteers in a bit, I'm still hoping I'm doing the right thing. Tomorrow, I'll turn off the alarm!

      Delete
  4. It takes me at least a week. I feel you. It has been a week for me...not feeling it 100% either. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem is the mess I still have to tackle at work. Hoping some time spent organizing today will make me feel better!

      Delete