Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Tuesday Slice: Just say no

My situation had become intolerable.

My office was a dumping ground last year.  I thought I would have time to straighten it up while working summer library during the last break, but we had a steady stream of visitors.  I began this past school year with a messy desk, and the piles of papers and books just grew.

The state of the library collection was becoming intolerable, too.  I had not weeded in five years, and the average publication date was three years too old.

After reading Seth Nichols' blog post, "Why Teachers Are Walking Out" , the outlook for my summer vacation break seemed intolerable as well.  I was already feeling put out by the expectations for summer professional development--without pay or professional compensation--and reading his post reinforced those feelings.  Requests for district-paid summer work outside of my own school even annoyed me.

So I started saying no.  No to professional development in June during my work days, when I really need to be cleaning my office, working on my annual report, and weeding.  No to paid extra-duty job offerings and requests, when I need to be home battling insurance issues that I can't take care of during the school year because I am busy, busy, busy during business hours.  No to attending free online teacher training, when I have piles of children's books to read to prepare for next year, and my own professional books that I've purchased and left unread.

I have compromised, and set my own schedule of going in to the library for five Wednesdays this summer.  For three hours each day, volunteers will be helping me weed and reconfigure math kits, tasks that I know can't be done in August.

This summer, I am saying yes to taking Spanish lessons.  Yes to taking voice lessons, and painting, and reading books just for fun.  Yes to cleaning up my own home, and swimming, and walking in the sunshine.  Doing these things for me will allow me to be there for the children come August, to do all the things I say yes to in the fall.

7 comments:

  1. You will be amazed by how empowering you are as you make these choices. I also read "Why Teachers are Walking Out" There were so many things he said that hit home for me. Taking care of myself is a struggle. It sounds like it is for you, too. Going deep in your own reflection sounds more important than doing more. You are planning to do less, well. The quality of your life and your work will reflect these choices. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you describe picking your spots sounds sensible to me and hopefully proves to be more than tolerable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "no's" and your "yes's" . . . Taking charge of how you spend your time is important! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always amazing to me just how much unpaid work I am asked to do! "Just say no" is a great motto. And thanks for the link to "Why Teachers Are Walking Out"--really interesting, especially the gender issue. Incredible to think about what coaches get compared to what teachers get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've crossed the Rubicon and begun to value yourself and the work you do. Ironically, that's when other people begin to realize your value...when you say no. Besides, life really is about more than our jobs...isn't it. Bravo and best wishes for a personally fulfilling summer.
    (And do it again next year!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for all the NOs you've managed. They are so hard. And your yesses are pretty awesome, too. May your summer bring renewal - and the strength to hold the line and say no to what is unnecessary or unreasonable. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a long time to say no to all things school in the summer and yes to all things that are important to me. I found that I was a better teacher during the school year because of it. Good for you. Enjoy your time. And Spanish lessons.

    ReplyDelete