Thursday, March 26, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Twenty-six: This work from home thing

Yesterday was better than the day before.

The day before, I was discombobulated by a change in plans, a long meeting, technology issues.  I self-medicated with a McDonald's #2 breakfast meal (Sausage-Egg McMuffin with cheese, hash browns, large Diet Coke) after the scurry into school for supplies, and a DQ Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard, size medium, after the long meeting and tech finagling.  This furlough has not been good for my waistline.  I was exhausted by evening, but not the good kind of exhausted after a fulfilling, productive day; a grumpy, bad exhaustion like Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  I had buttered popcorn for dinner, just to cap off the day of unhealthy eating.

Yesterday, I got up a bit earlier.  I made my coffee, read, prayed, wrote a Slice and commented on a few posts.  I started a load of laundry, did a quick aerobic indoor workout, and had a wonderfully productive Google Hangout with my ITS (despite some tech issues).  We made plans for tutorials and our broadcast team, in case we move to distance learning.  I was able to support some teachers via email.  I gained remote access to important library functions, and have a list of tasks to accomplish.

Yesterday, I spent time in the sun.  I walked around the block during one break, swept and hosed down the front porch during another, read a professional book while sitting on the back porch.  I ate some veggies and fruit, and even cooked dinner, ready just in time for my husband's return from work.  It was nice to sit and enjoy a meal together, after a few days of just picking through the leftovers in the fridge before he came home.  I ended the day by posting my usual Wednesday library blog, as sad as it was without anything to actually report from the library itself, though I did include directions for accessing our ebook collection. 

I'm still unsure how this work from home thing will look if we begin distance teaching and learning.  But yesterday was a good start, a balance of computer time and fresh air, healthy food and food for my mind and spirit.  If this continues past April 13th, though, I may be asking for a standing desk at home; my waistline, back, and hips weren't built for this much sitting.

4 comments:

  1. These times are unsettling. Food can be a comfort. It sounds like you have a few special treats to help brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the food thing. I have found myself eating way more than normal. Today is my day to watch what I eat. I need some balance and structure so I guess I will create it since this "stay at home" thing will last a bit longer than anticipated. Hugs friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. Your last line made an impression on me. Being home and eating cake for my husband's birthday has made me craving sweets again. Stay well, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always manage to a find balance, Chris, in everything. I totally agree about the furlough hurting my waistline part and I am anxious to start walking once I am told my foot is healed enough. I need to walk a lot. You balance your terrible-no-good food and fun with veggies and fresh air and sun and a pleasant meal with your husband. I am glad the Hangout went well ... know that you brighten the day for many of us here with your words of truth balanced by your positive nature!

    ReplyDelete