Thursday, August 5, 2021

Respecting my Spirit--Spiritual Journey Thursday

 Linda has the helm for this month's Spiritual Journey Thursday post.  She's given us the prompt of tying in "respect" with "spirit".

I don't often solicit advice on Facebook.  But after falling asleep on the couch sitting straight up at the end of a particularly exhausting workday, I posted this:

"Okay, fellow introverts who act like extroverts for your job: tips needed for how to retain some energy for home at the end of a work day filled with peopling. I was thoroughly exhausted yesterday by 5p. Does not bode well for a clean house or homemade dinners this coming school year. And please don't tell me to do all the home stuff on the weekends, because that gets old quick--no time for soul-filling, then! My Sundays are already full of getting ready for the week ahead."

I don't think I worded my question well, as I received lots of well-intentioned advice for boundary making, meal and housecleaning services. What I want is a fix for the draining effects on an introvert of a people-serving job--if that is even possible.

Because my friends are wonderfully supportive, I did glean sound advice from their responses: I need to respect my Spirit, my energy, my core.

I need sleep.

I need time to rest, and process.

I need to give myself Grace, especially during these hectic back-to-school weeks.

I need to continue setting those time boundaries, because Time is the most precious of commodities for educators seeking a work-life balance.

I can turn to music for mood and energy boosting.

I will work on earlier bedtimes for work nights, and load up my CD player with music to make me move and smile and raise my energy level at the end of a day full of 'peopling'. I will respect the needs of my Spirit, and survive and thrive through this season of self-sacrifice.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, sister....I hear you. My goodness. I come home from school to nap so often. I'm fortunate that my kids are grown enough that they can cook dinner and take care of putting themselves to bed. But, oh, those days before they could take care of themselves in those ways were a slog sometimes. I really don't know why I chose that word, respect, for this month. But, in the end, I'm glad I did. the responses have been wonderful...including this one. Yes, respect your spirit and your core. It's important! Great post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, yes, I am one of those introverts who get exhausted with too much people time. I just finished a wonderful and happy birthday week. However, last evening there was a surprise "Zoom" party for me, and even then I found myself tempted to read the novel I was trying to finish. Fortunately, I didn't, but I was spent. I think the pre-pandemic lifestyle is going to be hard to return to. (Actually, there are a lot of things I did that I plan to never return to.) I like your list of ways to respect your spirit. I'm making note of a couple of them that I need to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Linda said on her blog in connection with your post - you are "singing my song." I am yet another introvert who is easily drained by a lot of "peopling," even if I love them. It's not a matter of caring but a matter of wiring - some folks have to be around others and interacting to feel whole. The idea of respecting one's spirit is incredibly powerful to me - this may look different from person to person, for we as individuals need different amounts of different things. We do need to give ourselves grace. We do need time boundaries. We do need to be able to read or write pages our whatever it is our spirits are craving for sustenance... and time with the Spirit-Giver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I respect each teacher who is returning to the classroom for the great sacrifice they are making in times of COVID. When I was working, I felt the drain of always being on and now without working as an educator, I am still busy and get tired easily again. I think of myself as an extrovert who loves to be in social settings but there is always a limit. I like your take on self-respect and your willingness to see new ways to find balance. Even introverts step beyond self to seek advice. Keep on searching for ways to sustain your soul, Chris. I am so grateful for our community who are always so willing to search for new avenues to navigate life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you - it is challenging to manage the needs of an introvert with a teaching job. For me it's varied depending on my life stage, and this year now that I have an empty nest, I have a feeling I will be wanting people more than before. It sounds to me like you are completely on the right track!

    ReplyDelete