Wednesday, March 27, 2024

SOLSC '24 Day Twenty-seven: Three affirmations

 

These three things happened today:

For this round of library lessons, I am having students respond to sentence stems about the library in honor of National Library Month starting next week.  They get to choose from a list of five stems, and write two to three sentences to complete their thoughts.  Their answers were as simple as loving the books to as complex as becoming more intelligent through reading.  Some praise was given to the "kind library workers", which filled my heart with happiness.

******
In a phone conversation about an unrelated topic, my supervisor (who is not my evaluator) let me know that I was doing a great job.  I didn't realize just how much I needed to hear that until she said it, and it almost made me cry.  

******
A parent was part of our focus team meeting today.  When I introduced myself, she looked at my nametag and said that her child enjoys coming to the library.  I told her that it made my heart happy to hear it; that is the baseline for everything else good that happens in our space.

It has been a challenging work year for me, and writing about the good things that happen in my job is part of my ongoing mental health journey that helps me to keep doing the work I love.  I hope that in this often hectic fourth quarter of the school year, you have the time--and energy, and mental space--to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you are documenting the good. I agree; this year has been...an interesting one, to say it lightly. It's incredibly affirming to hear your work and your impact validated by others. You are doing such good work, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little affirmations go such a long way. I know this to be true. It is clear that others value you and your work - it is sad that we don't often hear the good things people actually think, for it makes so much difference. I am reading your conclusion about the challenging work year and the ongoing need to find the good, for your own mental wellness. I know this also to be true - vital, in fact. It has been a challenging couple of years at my school...I will just say that many people have left, and we are in the process of another major change, which might be good if it is well-implemented. I repeat: IF. That's critical. Some folks who wanted to stay haven't been asked back and there are so many stories that aren't mine to tell...but even in the general despair, my colleagues and I (most of us, anyway) try to support and encourage each other. I pray you strength for your final, most-challenging quarter. Keep writing; it helps. It brings you back to yourself for who you are and that is a strengthening balm. You're an extraordinary encourager to me...I will be thinking of you and asking for you to be encouraged in mighty ways every day through the work that lies ahead (making time to rest, please!).

    ReplyDelete