Tuesday, March 14, 2017

2017 SOLC Day 14: When the moon hits your eye

We celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday with a big dinner at a steakhouse, followed by chocolate cake and ice cream at home. Lying in a food coma on the couch afterward, I looked out the window and spied the moon. Naturally, I grabbed the camera and headed outside into the cool night air, my feet crunching through the grass still damp from the day's rain. Steadying my hands on the back fence, I took a few photos of the Virgo Full Moon:
I love how the trees and rooflines can frame my shots.


We have just a little digital Canon SureShot, but it takes great pics on infinity mode!





I have little stickers for my planner* that help me remember the moon phases.  I try to go outside under each full moon.  It reminds me to look up, breathe, listen, get a global perspective.  

Last night was perfect; cool and clear, when the bugs aren't attacking and the air is easy to breathe.  Moongazing is one of my favorite things to do.

*I found my stickers here, on Etsy.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, those shots are incredible. Lovely how you use the moon to help provide perspective in life. "...look up, breathe, get a global perspective." Sage words. Sometimes we get so caught up in our microscopic view of the world, we miss nature's wonders- like the moon! Thanks for this!
    - Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lanny! I'm just glad I looked out the window; had forgotten about it in the midst of our birthday celebration. My full moon routine certainly helps me snap out of the mundane.

      Delete
  2. In the 90s, there was a teacher book called "Moon Journals: Writing, Art, and Inquiry Through Focused Nature Study" by Joni Chancer and Gina Rester-Zodrow. I always wanted to do it, but the sky in the Pacific NW is so overcast most of the year, I never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely professional book, Adrienne; I will have to hunt it down! Sorry your moongazing is not as consistent as it can be here in central TX.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful. I too love looking at the moon especially when it is full. My iphone doesn't take such great pix of the moon - may have to look into the sure shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! It's nice to get out now, when the weather hasn't turned too muggy--or too buggy.

      Delete
  4. That moon last night was breathtaking. "OMG! Dewayne, come check out this moon!" Your captures were perfect. May we never tire of the beauty & wonder of life😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine you will ever tire of the wonder of life, Ms. JoAnn!

      Delete