Thursday, April 14, 2022

Verselove, Day 14: Espadrille wedges

Teacher-writers at ethicalela are sponsoring a month of poetry writing.
All educators can join in, too, at this link!
Andy Schoenborn invites us to write a paragraph about shoes, 
then find the poem that tumbles from the paragraph.
 
Shoes

My aunt bought me my first pair of heels.  It was the summer of '81, and my brother and I were in her care in Los Angeles until our parents followed our move from the Army base in Stuttgart to the one in El Paso. I was barely coming into my own; she nudged me forward with my requests for Sun-In, a cute bikini, and those heels--if you could call them that.  Espadrille wedges, more like, with a cap toe and buckled straps.  The heel was about two inches, if I recall properly, straw-colored because I wasn't one for brights.  I wore them with sundresses, shorts, those flared jeans I could finally fit into, my body stretching skyward and taking the pre-pubescent pudge with it.  I felt six feet tall in those shoes, like I could finally be seen as a whole person, the one developing curves and not just breaking them in class.

Those Heels

My aunt
bought me 
my first
pair of heels,
in the summer
of '81.

I imagine her
thumbing her nose
at her brother, my father,
still in Stuttgart
as he and my mother
packed up our belongings
to move us to El Paso.

I was barely 
coming into my own
that season.

In Los Angeles, I
lounged by my aunt's pool
in the bikini she bought me
Sun-In crisping my hair.

She insisted on the shoes, too.
Espadrille wedges
cap-toed
buckle-strapped
straw-colored
(I wasn't bold enough
for brights, just yet).

I wore them with
sundresses
shorts
those flared jeans
I could finally fit into,
body stretching skyward
taking pre-pubescent pudge with it.

Those extra two inches
made me feel six feet tall
like I could finally be seen
as a whole person
the one developing curves
not just breaking them in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment