Friday, April 8, 2022

Verselove, Day 8: Tell me without telling me

Teacher-writers at ethicalela are sponsoring a month of poetry writing.
All educators can join in, too, at this link!
Scott McCloskey has prompted us to write a
"tell me without telling me" poem.

It feels, sounds odd
to say that I’ve lived
in one place
for over thirty-five years
when the first twenty-one
were spent here, there
everywhere

Dual birth certificate in hand
father sometimes gone for months
a brother born after a war
a shot record longer than most

First id card at ten
frozen in place at the sound of taps
cadence outside my window
at oh six hundred

In my house, Capodimonte flowers
and parquetry pictures of hillsides
prints of the Eiffel tower
a geisha doll in a glass box
a nutcracker that says
“Made in Western Germany”
Hummels bought from the source

My home is a museum
my friends spread out across the globe
a spark of wanderlust
still throbs in my heart

I cried when I relinquished my
last id card
handing it over to the man
in the office at the gate.

[Tell me you’re a military BRAT without telling me you’re a military BRAT]

No comments:

Post a Comment