Saturday, April 2, 2022

Verselove, Day 2: What I can't forget, part one

Teacher-writers at ethicalela are sponsoring a month of poetry writing.
All educators can join in, too, at this link!
Today's prompt is:  core memories, based on a mentor poem by Maria Geisbrecht.

What I can't forget, the early years

a recurring childhood dream (nightmare?)
    sitting on the edge of a bottomless pit, legs dangling
    in the backyard of a red brick house
my parents calling me "Tina"
   and the chorus line of a 45 rpm 
   "Tina, the ballerina, the belle of gay Paree"
the feel of a mini dachshund sleeping 
    in the curve of my legs, undercover
    snoring and refusing to let me roll over
the tree that grew sideways in the scrubby forest
    secluded, a place to share secrets
    and the freedom we had to explore
the feeling of being the odd one out
    always the new girl
    always knowing we'd move again
wearing polyester pants
    when everyone else was wearing jeans
    and being shoved against a locker for breaking the curve
my hair turning orange from Sun-In
    getting my first contacts
    that first kiss, ever--I was worthy?
my mother, masterful negotiator
    as my father and I fought before leaving
    his tears as my mother drove me to college.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment