Saturday, April 9, 2022

Verselove, Day 9: Birds are so smart

Teacher-writers at ethicalela are sponsoring a month of poetry writing.
All educators can join in, too, at this link!
Dixie Keyes prompts us with bird poems today.


On schooldays
I am up before dawn
before birdsong
dressed for work, I
scoop up birdseed
carry it outside,
around the house
to the feeder hanging
from our children’s old
playscape

Rarely do they visit
before I leave for work.

On weekends
I sleep in a bit
fill the feeder just
as the sun fully rounds
the horizon
and watch, from
the kitchen window,
the morning feast.

A cardinal pair
mourning doves
European starlings
and the raucous bluejays
(I bang the window
to scare away
marauding squirrels)
chickadees
house finches
Bewick’s wrens
and my favorites,
the little tufted titmouse.

Sometimes
I can sit on my patio
and they will visit
mere feet away
having learned that
I mean them no harm–

Soul-filling, that trust.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment