Wednesday, March 9, 2016

SOLSC '16 Day Nine: Purple


"When I am an old woman"
"I shall wear purple"
"With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me."**
I warned my principal that I'd be going purple for my 50th birthday, in honor of Jenny Joseph's famous poem.  It won't be too bright, I said; just some color over my own naturally dark brown-and-silver curls.  
You probably won't even see it in certain light, I said.
I wonder if she'll be the one issuing a warning today.  

It will most likely be gone in four weeks, my hairdresser said....But in the meantime, I will "make up for the sobriety of my youth."**  

And maybe even learn to spit.


**"Warning" by Jenny Joseph, copyright 1962



14 comments:

  1. What a fantastic way to celebrate .... and a fantastic poem to accompany yourself. Put that poem in your pocket today. Happy birthday.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin--I got the cutest version of the poem, too, a little pocket-sized, illustrated hardbound edition by Souvenir Press. I will bring it to work today!

      Delete
  2. Very fun. I bet the students will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing my crowd, the older kids will love it, the younger ones will be shocked and probably "tell on me" to their parents! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Love it. For some reason i've been more and more drawn to that shade of purple when I see it on dark hair. I have 2 1/2 more years until 50--I'll keep it in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a DIY version this past summer, and liked it then; glad my hairdresser could replicate it with a bit more lasting results. Be forewarned, it is a bit messy; will be sleeping with a towel over my pillowcase for a week or so!

      Delete
  4. My favorite color!!!
    Love Ya,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and brave way to celebrate. Purple is my favorite color but I've never considered it for my hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! I couldn't bring myself to do the bleach-and-dye thing, though, so it will not be long-lived.

      Delete
  6. You have given me an idea for the next time I visit the hairdresser...and that purple looks fabulos, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and the students loved it today! Thanks for the compliment. :-)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! I love it most of the time...until I get into certain light, and it looks REALLY purple. Then I'm afraid it's too much!

      Delete