Wednesday, March 23, 2016

SOLSC '16 Day Twenty-three: The prompt

"You learn lessons in school and in life.  Think about a lesson you've learned.  Explain how it has helped you.  Organize your thoughts.  Remember to use proper capitalization, spelling, punctuation, and grammar." (paraphrased)

I was the honored presenter of the prompt yesterday morning at day two of our fourth grade's Camp Write-Along rally in the cafeteria.  Before I unfurled the laminated scroll (coincidentally tied with a purple bandanna which matched my hair!), I shared with the students that I could feel their pain and struggle with writing because I had been doing just that, every morning, for twenty-two days.  I was hoping the prompt would help me out, too, because after three weeks of writing, I was running out of fresh ideas.
************

By fifty, one has hopefully learned many, many lessons in school and life.  One lesson I've learned in this age of technology is to pay attention to the URL of a website; it happens to be a lesson I teach my students, too.  

Last night, I was registering my son for a summer camp, and had gotten to the page where I was supposed to submit the payment details.  All along, I kept noticing that the security portion of the URL bar was red; the "https" was crossed out with a diagonal red slash, and the little padlock symbol was red and had an "X" over it.  When I investigated by clicking on the padlock, the pop-up told me that a third party might have access to this information, or could easily hack into it.  I didn't want my credit card number falling into the wrong hands!

I did not feel comfortable putting my credit card information on an unsecure page, so I decided to call the help desk the next day.  The website does have contact information listed.  I wrote down the phone numbers and other pertinent information I would need to register my son. Now I'm just hoping for a free moment this morning to make the call.

The need to be alert when using the internet--that is one lesson that I have learned in school that has been very important in life.

4 comments:

  1. I tend to ignore things like that, assuming out of date technology. You have me pausing for thought. I am going to be more vigilant in protecting myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the larger-than-normal price tag that kept me more alert than usual. My school computer showed the same warning. The admissions person I phoned was surprised and said I was the first one to say something about it!

      Delete
  2. How about a picture of the purple hair????
    That was good that you noticed the non-secure web page. Since I got hacked a couple of years ago I look for the "https" and a green bar. Have a great day.
    Love Ya, Dad.

    ReplyDelete