Tuesday, March 29, 2016

SOLSC '16 Day Twenty-nine: Passion and pictures

Two tasks have the same deadline this week, one professional, one personal.

I volunteered to do a five-minute talk to my colleagues in a peer-to-peer, teacher-initiated professional development session this Thursday.  The topic is of my choosing, but should be centered on what excites me as an educator, something I'm passionate about.  

I have considered several ideas for my talk, and can't seem to settle on one.  It was suggested that we provide slides, too--twenty slides, timed at 15 seconds apiece so that the talk is metered and kept within the time limit.  Because I haven't chosen a topic yet, I haven't started on the slides.

At home, I have a Groupon deadline for a Shutterfly photo book.  I purchased it months ago, with the idea that I would work on it over spring break.  Instead, I forgot about it until this past Friday, when I realized the coupon expires this Thursday. 

I spent all day Friday going through three thousand pictures from our trip to Japan, and chose almost seven hundred of them to upload.  Every day since, I've spent two to three hours working on placing photos in the online scrapbook.

Two major projects due by Thursday; will I finish either one? 

6 comments:

  1. I am so intrigued by the five minute speak about your passion to your colleagues! What a wonderful PD activity! Selfishly, I want more information on how this works.
    I feel for you with the Shutterfly book. Honestly, I wish we still had the photo development huts because life was so much easier then! I cannot keep track of digital pictures and getting them organized! Good luck with both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of our teachers attended an event with the same format downtown during SXSW Edu; educators talked for five minutes apiece, on topics that were designed to get people thinking. Those teachers were inspired to try it on our campus; this Thursday will be the first time.
      I sometimes wish for those old photo places, too!

      Delete
  2. Wow you do have a full plate this week! I'm sure the perfect topic idea will come to you! Carving out time to go through photographs is tough, but I'm sure it's like re-living part of that trip! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to revisit the trip; just the deadline has me nervous!

      Delete
  3. I love looking through old photographs -this sounds like a great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it turns out great; thanks, Tara!

      Delete