Sunday, March 8, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Eight: Privileged thoughts

The pain in my neck was still there when I woke up this morning, this ache that varies in intensity as it has accompanied me on my daily rounds for the last seven days.  Using Occam's Razor as my guide, I'm pretty sure the cause is work stress (I've been in book fair mode), computer posture, and lack of exercise.  

I've already written about my neck (and got really good advice, thanks!) this past week.  Despite this daily reminder of my human frailty, I find it hard to complain (much) about the inconvenience.  

I'm one of the "seat of the pants" writers when it comes to Slicing, so I rarely plan the words that appear each morning on my blog.  Sometimes at night I lie in bed wondering about what I'll write at oh-dark-thirty, and ideas will float by my closed eyelids.  More often, it's a silent prayer for a Muse to land that sends me off to sleep.  The result of this lack of true planning is often a surprise when I go back and read what I've posted.  It's as if I'm reviewing recorded hypnotic episodes, more thought going into the re-reading than the writing itself.

This month, it's thoughts of privilege that come to mind.  My posts are full of first-world observations and annoyances.  

The exhaustion at the end of a long workday--at a job that pays more than minimum wage, indoors with a controlled environment, with some legal protections against employer abuse.  Paid sick and personal leave is included!

Sitting on the porch of a house I own outright with my loving, supportive husband.  Sleeping in a comfy, warm bed in yet another controlled environment.  Potable water at hand, hot showers, soap and bleach to clean away germs, medications in the cupboard for my allergies and sore neck.  Technology for global communication.

Even the privilege of celebrating another birthday, three more now than my mother was able to experience, makes an appearance in my posts.

Does this make my musings trite?  Are my daily activities worthy of note, when so many others are struggling with meeting basic needs, their stories of daily life largely untold?

On the one hand, my experiences are all I feel comfortable writing about.  I never want to presume what someone else's life is truly like, whether we travel in the same circles or not.  On the other, thinking about my current life status makes my writing seem trivial.

I guess for now, I'll just keep writing what I know...fully aware that there is much, much more beyond my scope of experiences, hoping that what I have to offer is of some value, somewhere, to someone.

7 comments:

  1. Hope your neck gets fixed or better soon! I think these ramblings are what most of us experience most of the time as we mull over what to write about! I like your phrase oh-dark-thirty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm in good company, Celia! Thanks for the kind comment!

      Delete
  2. Naming our own privilege takes reflective will. And once we do it - go through and actually list the many advantages and comforts we enjoy and possibly take for granted, I find it makes crucial space for other things. It frees us up to recognize what else is going on in the world. To see the inequality that surrounds us, to notice where change is necessary. At the same time, it does not diminish our value as humans or the relevance of our stories. It's not a zero sum game. There's space for all of our experiences and if we have access to more privilege then we have to use it for good, to make other lives better. We can do both: hold privilege and work to dismantle inequality. I appreciate your slice a lot because it illustrates the kind of reflection we are all capable of and that moves us all towards being better community members.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insightful reply! I don't necessarily feel devalued, just wonder if my day-to-day minutiae is really what I should be writing about, but not sure how to write about the truly important stuff when I don't have to experience it on a daily basis. Such an internal struggle!

      Delete
  3. I kind of agree with an earlier post. Just because others have it worse does not negate the experiences of those better off. In fact there is so much to learn from one another about our shared humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I do hope that my posts are helpful to others, too. I'll keep writing and trying!

      Delete
  4. Feel better. The computer work is a culprit causing skeletal and muscular pains. I use a heating pad to reduce the stress on the ailing areas. It also helps me relax. As for your thoughts. All thoughts are worthy within a reflective person like yourself.

    ReplyDelete