Friday, March 6, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Six: I knew it was coming

The subject comes up in conversation among my patrons at least once a day.
"We canceled our trip; too worried about being in a plane, in close quarters."
"I wanted to take my kids to the hands-on museum, but not sure if that's wise right now."
"The stores now have signs at the front to tell you what is sold out--water, hand sanitizer..."

My own daughter, working in schools in Japan, gets to sit in empty classrooms for the coming weeks.  Students have been told to stay home.  Teachers still report to work, every cough in the lounge receiving an accusatory glance.

This has had little effect on my daily rounds, aside from a bit more attention paid to handwashing and face touching...until now.

COVID-19, for the foreseeable future, is keeping me and my fellow volunteers from rocking babies in the NICU.

My head completely understands this need to protect the most vulnerable, precious patients.

My heart hurts that for now, we won't be able to help the NICU nurses as they work so hard to take care of multiple babies during their shifts.  Thinking of the "good touch" these babies will be missing makes me sad.

Here's a silent thank you to the scientists and doctors who are working hard to figure out the details of this virus, for accurate diagnostic testing, sanitation guidelines, and prophylactic measures.  I hope we are all able to get answers soon.

Until then, my arms will feel a little bit empty each Saturday morning.

16 comments:

  1. Oh... this captures the ways in which fear and precautions and reality are creeping into all of our lives. I am sorry for your empty arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on the heels of this email came the announcement that the city's SxSW conference and music festival has been cancelled. The hits keep coming...

      Delete
  2. Your commitment to the babies shows in this slice. As you thank others I thank you for the help you have been giving to the NICU nurses.
    "Here's a silent thank you to the scientists and doctors..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment! It's the smallest payback, really, for the care they gave my preemie twenty-six years ago. That debt can never be fully repaid.

      Delete
  3. This really puts things in perspective. Yes, the disruptive nature of the virus annoys me, but I hadn’t thought about the effect on NICU babies until reading your slice. They need human touch. How will they know the reasons they’re not being held? This is what matters. 😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You echoed my feelings perfectly, Glenda. These little ones, oblivious to what's going on except in their microcosmic world.

      Delete
  4. So many ways this virus makes us aware of how fragile our patterns are. We are so much more interdependent than we are typically likely to recognize but your post brings those connections into stark relief. We need each other in ways we haven't even realized or thought of. I hope you will be able to return to volunteering before too long. Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for bringing the theme of interconnectedness into this discussion. It's so very true! And yes, I'm hoping our furlough won't be long.

      Delete
  5. I had not thought of THIS impact but of course, we are all limiting our contacts with others. Theater tickets are left waiting on Broadway of late and there was nothing left in the disinfectant aisle but a sign saying "coming soon." I am not alone in praying for a swift cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the entertainment industry, beyond traveling musicians! Tickets left on Broadway...another joy robbed,too.

      Delete
  6. I learn every day about new ways that this virus is impacting lives. I never would have thought about it impacting the babies at the NICU, but I can totally understand it.

    I think it is wonderful that you are rocking the babies there. I have thought about volunteering to do this in my community, but I haven't as of yet.

    I hope things get back to normal for your daughter, you, and all impacted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. I truly enjoy rocking the babies; it's just a bonus knowing that I'm helping them and the nurses, too. And it's an incentive to stay healthy!

      Delete
  7. This virus just keeps affecting lives as quickly as it is spreading itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Leigh Anne!?! And I'm still just a bit skeptical of the seriousness of this (beyond the obvious issues for medically fragile and elderly).

      Delete
  8. It seems as if this virus is impacting us all in some way. I hope that they find a cure or vaccine soon and that we can all resume our normal lives. Until then, stay safe. I think it's really great that you volunteer your time like that. You have a sweet heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I volunteer mostly out of gratitude for their care of my preemie 26 years ago. When you live there as a parent for 65 days, and then work there for three years as an assistant, it kinda feels like home.

      Delete