Monday, March 23, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Twenty-three: Self care when I'm not in the mood

A few days ago, a fellow Slicer invited us to a virtual self-care party.  Leigh Anne Eck prompted us to share three self-care tips with our writing community.

The COVID-19 crisis hit just as our Spring Break was beginning.  It affected our visit with our son that first weekend; we spent much of the time making sure he was stocked up on food and toilet paper, since he decided to stay the course in his apartment and work on his virtual classes there.  The rest of the week was gray and gloomy, as was my mood; not depressed, per se, but unmotivated to complete even the most basic of spring break tasks I had set aside for myself.  Since we are empty-nesting, I was the only person I had to entertain and keep busy, and I didn't do a very good job of it.  I spent the days in silence, reading a bit here and there and playing a LOT of solitaire and mahjong games on the computer.

By Friday I had enough of this slump.  I called a friend and talked for an hour.  I loaded up the CD player with 70s music; Simon and Garfunkel, Gordon Lightfoot, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Carole King, and John Denver worked their magic, and my mood began to lift.  

Here are my three self-care practices I'm putting in place for the coming weeks away from school:

1)  Music, and lots of it.  I think I needed the silence that first week, an antidote to the noise of school from the week before and the noise from the media every night as we turn on the news.  But I am used to background music in the library, so I will be raiding the tall stacks of CDs at home to play and sing along.

2)  Planning.  I didn't touch my planner during spring break.  You would think this was a good thing, but it left me unmoored--which would be wonderful if I was by the beach, but not so great stuck at home.  I started mapping out my week ahead yesterday, as much as I could.  Writing out plans helps me remember that there are things I can control, things I can do to move forward, when there is so much happening beyond my control right now.  My plans include home care, exercise, work-related tasks, and creative pursuits.  Colored markers and stickers make planning fun!

3)  Learning.  I have so much professional reading to catch up on, and now's the perfect time to do it.  I'm also going to sign up for that Yale course on well-being that everyone's talking about.  I'm keeping up with my Duolingo exercises in Spanish and Japanese.  And I'm toying with the idea of learning how to play the children's guitar we have, gathering dust in the living room, via YouTube.  We'll see if I get around to that!

I hope others find these tips helpful.  As for my hostess gift--I've got a box full of Bath and Bodyworks scented handsoaps to help us all get through this major handwashing phase of our lives.

Here's to fragrant hands and lifted spirits, Slicers!

18 comments:

  1. A writer friend recommended the Yale class to me also. I signed up and went through the first lessons. It is interesting. Thanks for reminding me to go back to it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome! There seems to be quite a few of us interested. Should make for some good Slices.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful list of tips. I see planning as hopeful and learning as so vital to our ability to forgo sinking into depression. I’ve wanted to learn to knit, and I might be able to do that on YouTube. I gave yarn and needles given to me as a gift years ago. I had a rough day yesterday, but your self-care post has lifted me for what this new day offers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gone back to planning, but have stopped doing it by the hour...too much changes too quickly. Glad my post lifted your spirits!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, Chris. I completely understand and have had many of the same moods/feelings. Sending a virtual hug your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bindu, it was nice to see a colleague and real life friend pop up in my comments! Thanks so much for your kind words. Virtual hug back. :-)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful that you joined. I agree that learning is a form of self-care. When my life is challenging, learning fuels me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad there are so many learning opportunities out there, thanks to technology! It does help us stay sane, I think.

      Delete
  5. I also hope to catch up on professional reading. I'm currently reading Engaging Literate Minds by Peter Johnston and others. Glad to see others joining up for the Yale course. I'm thinking of either a twitter hashtag or maybe a Voxer group to connect any educators who are taking it and interested in discussing it and extending our learning. I think your plans - home care, exercise, work-related tasks, and creative pursuits - sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the book recommendation! If you set up a Voxer group, please let us know. As for my plans, I do hope I can cross off a few to-dos these next two weeks.

      Delete
  6. Learning is a big one for me too. Absolutely keeps my anxiety at bay. I think I'll be joining the self-care party tomorrow! I hadn't thought about planning as self-care, but it absolutely is. Wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, I think "lifelong learner" is a key attribute of most teachers. There's just too much good stuff out there! And yes, planning does help me; I get more done when I write it down.

      Delete
  7. It is interesting how important a schedule is in a time filled with unknowns - it is hard to remember what day it is. Music is another important tip - just changes your frame of mind. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to set a better schedule, but starting with a to-do list gives me a modicum of focus for the day, for sure!

      Delete
  8. Yea to the music (especially singing!), the planning, the learning! Every one of them a true spirit-lifter. You're right about the need to plan at home. I've been grumbling for ages about not having time to get stuff organized at home, so ... I made a plan. It's an utter luxury to plod along in this task, finally being able to do it at leisure. This imparts a great sense of control at the moment.The course on well-being sounds fascinating so I do hope bits of that will be forthcoming here on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find my rhythm again, Fran; it has been lost since spring break. Starting with going back to my regular bedtime and alarm will help, I think. And I need to focus on one or two tasks to completion. I've been frittering around these past few days, too many half-done tasks lying about! Hoping the course helps as well.

      Delete
  9. I love your hostess gift for Leigh Anne's party, Chris. At least we can sniff the scents if Leigh Anne's okay with that. Bring those CDs because music is always a good way to lift the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scented soaps are usually a treat for my teachers in my library restroom, but I guess we get to enjoy them for the time being!

      Delete