Tuesday, March 17, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Seventeen: I got the call/ Happy anniversary!

The call came at 11:17am.  The prerecorded voice announced that with the safety of our students and staff in mind, our school district will be closed through April 3rd.  This week, however, we are on Spring Break, and I'm going to treat it as such.  I will be decorating for spring, packing up my dark and warm winter clothes for brighter and lighter wear, combating clutter.  There will be reading and crocheting, cooking and baking, painting of nails and possibly a canvas.  Hopefully the skies will clear up long enough for walks outside and some gardening to happen, with a rare foray out beyond neighborhood borders for potting soil and plants.

Come Saturday and Sunday, I will start thinking about school and what I can do virtually for my students. The district is planning the same, so there may be some direction by then.  If not, or if it doesn't apply to the library, I've got a few ideas to keep kids reading and enhance their learning during their extended break.

On a brighter note....Happy Saint Patrick's Day!  It's also the anniversary of our engagement.  My husband held on to the emerald ring for months, just to propose to me on the day that celebrates my Irish heritage (my mother's side).  Today I will make colcannon--potatoes, cabbage, kale, cream and butter, lots of butter-- and bake some shamrock cookies.  That should keep us going for a few days of COVID-19 quarantine!  
   

6 comments:

  1. Happy Engagement Anniversary! I think it's smart that you're treating the rest of this week like Spring Break. Our Spring Break isn't until April 10th & who knows what the situation will be like then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm relaxing a bit this week, will put on my librarian hat in a few days. Til then, there are books to be read! Hope your path seems a bit more clear in days to come.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for the call and moving forward even if it means in the tiniest of increments, all things considered. How lovely of your husband to wait for this day to propose in honor of your Irish lineage. I was always told I had Irish blood (descended from Rileys and Mayos on different sides, but still!) and it turns out I really do - most likely from County Cork. The emerald happens to be my birthstone. My husband is, at this very moment, making corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes like his mother used to. In how many ways are we connected, Chris?? Happy engagement anniversary and St. Patrick's Day! Enjoy your celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Irish themed feast too, Fran! If the kids were here, we would have chocolate "gold" coins left by Seamus the leprechaun; they were delivered by hand and by mail instead. The colcannon made for a yummy lunch; will bake a bit later. My son has an emerald birthstone, too!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story to contrast with the uncertainty and closure of schools and all the current news. The soup sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for any excuse to celebrate, Celia. And the colcannon is more like doctored mashed potatoes--so yummy and buttery, a nice way to get your greens for the day!

      Delete