Tuesday, March 3, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Three: Porch meditation

Ten and a half hours indoors.  Sure, there are windows in the library, and the mountain laurels in view from the back are in bloom.

Still...all walls and no sky make Chris a dull girl.  I realized this as I drove home on autopilot, my energy sapped by the long day at work.

I pulled into the driveway, got out of my car, and retrieved the mail.  I unlocked the front door, setting my purse and keys in their usual spots, then straight to the kitchen to drop the mail on the table.  For some reason, a glass of wine sounded good; I rooted around the cabinet for the fancy insulated, stemless, lidded container and made myself a spritzer.  Grabbing my phone, I headed back out the front door.

I brushed a stray brown leaf off the red mesh chair, plopped down and looked around.  It felt like spring, but looked like winter.


Breathing deeply, I did nothing but look and listen for ten minutes.  A bird was calling from a nearby tree, repeating its message in three parts over and over again.  I could hear the crunch of walkers on the gravelly path next to my yard before they came into view, one person getting their exercise, another walking a dog...did I know that person, that dog, lived catty corner from my house?  I felt disconnected from my own street. 

My practical side kicked in, and I completed my Duolingo exercises on my phone.  First Spanish--"Disculpe, por favor."  Then Japanese...my eyes still getting used to the characters, the sounds still foreign to my ears. Will either language ever stick?

My husband calls in the middle of the lesson; he's on his way home.  The darkening gloom makes me look at my watch, and I realize it's dinnertime already.  I take one last deep breath before heading inside to make a bowl of leftover chili.  The beeping of the microwave breaks my reverie. 

10 comments:

  1. And still we write - thankfully! Those moments beyond the mundane of work connected with me, I enjoyed your slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to know folks were breathing deep along with me.

      Delete
  2. Breathing deeply, I did nothing but look and listen for ten minutes. -- this line made me want to throw on my running clothes and head outside. I love the fresh air. To take time to simply rest and be is such a wonderful, simple luxury --isn't it? Can't wait for the mountain laurels to start blooming near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get outdoors more too, Claire. Especially when work is at the busiest...just to maintain some balance!

      Delete
  3. All of the different senses you capture in this piece! I especially liked the crunching of walkers on the gravel and your wonderings about who it could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying hard to incorporate more details in my writing, Elisabeth. Thanks for noticing!

      Delete
  4. "Still...all walls and no sky make Chris a dull girl" - I think we are all vitamin D deficient for our lack of being outside. We were meant to live closer to the earth than we do. For some reason I found the brushing away of a stray leaf to be so poignant. I am virtually sending you a clink and "cheers." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think us "fringe teachers" have it worse than others, Fran, since we don't often get recess duty. Here's to sunny days ahead, and some time to enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. I can relate to your post. I, too, am ready to enjoy the outdoors and soak up the sunshine. A glass of wine on the porch sounds like a marvelous way to unwind after a long day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I need to remember to do more often, Tracy.

      Delete