Wednesday, March 18, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Eighteen: A letter from home

Dear beloved daughter and son,

I went for a walk on the hike and bike trail this morning, the one behind our house.  I had forgotten earbuds, and the sound of sandy gravel crunching under my heavy steps seemed loud against the quiet backdrop of the gray, misty sky.  Only a few dog walkers were out and about; the rest of the trail was all mine.

I came up to the big fig tree on the left.  You know, the one just at the bend on the other side of the trail, the one I would point out to you at the change of the seasons.  I thought of the two of you when you were small and still learning about spring.  Since you both are grown up and far away right now, I took some pictures to remind you. 



The squirrels seem to be getting bolder; they don't skitter away as quickly when I approach.  You know I have a love-hate relationship with them ever since one lived in the house for five days during our Tokyo trip...but they are cute.

It rained a little while we were away in Denton.  The grass is so green in and around the drainage creek!  I didn't see the herons or turtles today.


After I crossed the bridge, I noticed the blue sky finally peeking through. I was hoping it would stay and I could sit outside today, but I could see more gray clouds coming.

When I stopped to take this picture of more green-space, there was a lady off to the right of the trail testing her dogs' training.  The beautiful German shepherd and a smaller speckled dog were being so good, sitting and staying at the edge of the trail until she told them to come.  She continued to walk with them; the dogs were so joyful, rolling in the dewy grass and chasing after the squirrels.

The park maintenance crew put a cover over the new-ish playscape.  From the kitchen window, I've seen some families playing there this past week.  

Our backyard is green, too!  Your father has already mowed a couple of times this past month.  I'm hoping to get some new plants this week to put in the containers on the back porch.

Remember when the big tree on the side of the house cracked in half last fall?  I'm still surprised it didn't do more damage to our fence or the air conditioning unit.  Anyway, it doesn't seem to care that half of it is missing; it is leafing out beautifully.  It will be a shame when your father gets around to taking it down.  We'll definitely have to replace it when he does.

I hope you've enjoyed our picture walk together.  I'm looking forward to the next time you come home so we can see the season's changes on the hike and bike together.  Until then, be well!

I love you both so very much, 
Mom




10 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! I hope you do share this with them. I am sure they will love it! You sure showed the passage of time and the strength of shared memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tagged them on FB where I share these posts as well; hoping I hear their comments soon!

      Delete
  2. A gift, a tremendous gift, to your children, these images of home as spring is reborn, with their mother reminding them of childhood moments. They will love it. They will cry. They will hold your words and your pictures close to their hearts. How poignant and beautiful, Chris. And hopeful. It is ever the time for remembering the good and looking beyond the immediate. For savoring nature - and saying I love you. You will buoy many spirits this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran. The fig tree was the prompt I needed for this post. We don't skimp on the I love yous in our family! And it has also made me realize that we may never leave this house, because the memories are too dear.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful words and beautiful pictures. I have wonderful memories walking with my Grandchildren down those paths. I love Ya. Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dad. I remember the walk you had with Gaby and the angel...that story, I will never forget.

      Delete
  4. It looks and sounds like you had a lovely walk. I enjoyed seeing lots of green in your pictures - one of the best parts of spring is seeing all the color return to our world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to breathe some fresh air, Lisa! Happy Spring!

      Delete