Friday, March 13, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Thirteen: Every breath, every step

"Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take, I'll be watching you
Every single day and every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay, I'll be watching you
Oh, can't you see you belong to me
How my poor heart aches with every step you take
Every move you make, and every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake, I'll be watching you"
--Gordon Sumner (aka Sting)

Ah, COVID-19.  You have us questioning every cough and sneeze.  Travel plans are rearranged, suspect, cancelled.  March Madness and our school's Field Day games, cancelled.  My annual librarians' conference, cancelled.  Our daughter sits in empty classrooms in Japan.  Our son's in-person college classes, cancelled for next week.  Step by step, you are encroaching on our daily lives.  It seems the whole world is under your control...or the powers that be are controlling the whole world, using you as the excuse.  Fake news and false promises abound.  

I, for one, will not panic.  I will keep listening to the scientists and following their directions.  I will still enjoy the Spring Break ahead of me, just slightly more cautious about my usual handwashing routines, hoping this doesn't impact meeting with friends.  For once, I'm glad we aren't rich enough to travel abroad for this break, so no major plans have to be broken, no refunds to deal with.  I will pray that the susceptible loved ones in my circles remain hale and hearty.  May whoever reads this remain free from the clutches of COVID-19, too.

16 comments:

  1. It does feel like slowly everything is crashing in and one's world is getting smaller and smaller. Although with schools closing, the numbers in my house are getting bigger and bigger. Love the use of the song as an intro. Slice of Life does document the times for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it started affecting my school schedule, that's when I felt I had to write about it. I hope your full house doesn't lead to cabin fever (bad pun during this time, I know!).

      Delete
  2. Yes! Ditto to the spring break plans- although ours isn't until the end of the month. Keep calm, and carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be an interesting spring break, checking work email every few days for updates. Sigh. Hang in there too, Stephanie!

      Delete
  3. Agreed! If we follow precautions and stay calm, we not be living in chaos. It is definitely impacting us all greatly though. I like how used the song for your introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song totally seemed to fit what's going on. We are visiting our college boy, took him grocery shopping last night. Sad to see the toilet paper shelves bare!

      Delete
  4. In January this virus was news from far east. Now it is everywhere. In two months it has created a situation where human normality is strongly tested. Have a restful spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weird time to be alive, with updates seemingly happening every hour. Going to try to get some rest and do some "normal" things this spring break!

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your positve approach and your blessing at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh Anne! The best advice I ever got from a medical professional is "Don't worry until you are specifically told to worry, about a specific issue." It helped us get through the early days and years of our preemie daughter's life, figure the same rule applies here.

      Delete
  6. Masterful use of that song! I am with you, I will not panic. I will be cautious and careful. The world is on pause, but it will go on. Here's to rest and reflection. Maybe we can read some books we have stacked, waiting (for I know you must have one similar to mine!). God bless you and yours and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran! Fits, doesn't it? COVID-19 may be the global stalker at the moment, but until it breaks my personal restraining order, I'm going to rest, relax, and read!

      Delete
  7. Such a good idea to just lay it out there - how is this impacting the now? I love your positive energy here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think it needs to be chronicled for future reading. Who knows when something like this will arise again, and we'll need some history to figure out how to handle it?

      Delete
  8. It's taking over every aspect of our lives, little by little. I'm glad you are not giving in to panic. Wash those hands more often and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went shopping with our college boy last night...he's down to a roll and a half of toilet paper. Hoping to get him a pack of it today...that's the ultimate intrusion on daily life!

      Delete