Monday, March 30, 2020

SOLSC '20 Day Thirty: Carney Park

"Post a picture of your travels" a friend prompted.  "We can take a virtual trip around the world."  She posted a picture from England, another from Paris.

I've lived in Paris (well, for a few months, as a baby).  And Bangkok, Naples, Stuttgart.  We took trips to wonderful places while we lived overseas, thanks to my adventurous parents.  I ran around Pompeii before I could name all our state capitals.

Wonderful trips, historic places...but the first place that popped into my head at my friend's prompt was Carney Park.

Carney Park was and still is an American military recreation center in Pozzuoli, Italy, outside of Naples.  It has the unusual distinction of being located inside an extinct volcano.  
Image may contain: mountain, tree, sky, grass, plant, outdoor and nature
I remember being fascinated by this fact as a child.  We would drive over what looked like a small hill into this huge park.  Standing in place and slowly spinning around, you realize that the small hills are on all sides...you really are in a crater.

We had lots of good times in this park.  My mother learned to drive stick shift in the parking lot of the drive-in movie theater as my brother and I played on a swing set.  My Girl Scout troop held annual Father-Daughter campouts on the campgrounds--it always seemed to rain on those weekends.  The Army-Navy baseball game was held on the Fourth of July, with fireworks after the game was over; I vaguely remember a streaker ran across the field one year, just before the lights went out.

I'm glad Carney Park is still up and running.  The current website shows cabins for rent now, a fitness center, wifi.  The baseball diamonds, soccer fields and golf course are still there,as well as the pool; I don't see the drive-in theater in the description or pictures.

Carney Park in Pozzuoli, Italy...my place to remember today.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such an interesting location. I've always wondered what life was like for military families overseas. I think you've touched on a universal theme-childhood memories-I really tapped in to the emotions of your experience. Loved the streaker memory, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cara! It is a wonderful place. My memories may be a bit fuzzy, but the good feelings of remembering remain.

      Delete
  2. An excellent idea, posting pictures of travels. This one is so intriguing - how many people can claim to have been in an extinct volcano? With such interesting associations? It's why our stories make each of us unique, yet bind us all together. I am also stirred that your place to remember is in Italy, with what that country is suffering - never been there but it is never far from my thoughts these days. Knowing that the park is still up and running is somehow a little whisper of reassurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to revisit all the places I've lived, Fran. Maybe someday...but not this year! I haven't been back to Italy since we lived there more than forty years ago. I am certain I'd barely recognize my old haunts!

      Delete