Tuesday, March 2, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Two: My GetAway reading pile

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.


The items get checked off, one by one:
Two outfits (plus one, just in case)
Three pairs of socks 
Pajamas
Toiletries
An extra blanket
Five meals' worth of food
Four books...

Four books.  Just four?  I review the parameters I set for myself when I wrote the list:  one kidlit, one personal, one professional, one about money.

The kidlit choice was easy; I'm working my way once again through the Wrinkle in Time quintet.  The personal, not so easy...I have so many on my to-read pile.  Same with the professional book; I've started so many, need to finish one.  And I know I started reading one about money...it needs to be finished, too.  Now where did I leave it?  Oh, and there's the magazines that are always good for a bit of "mind candy"...

I assembled my reading pile for my reflective retreat. The forecast calls for rain; perfect weather for settling in at the cabin with a cup of tea and a good book...or six.

14 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Oh, for a rainy day of reading and a cup of tea. I also see you have a Billy Collins. I'm often inspired to use variations of his first lines to get me started. Have a beautiful day and savor every second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Johnson, it was absolutely wonderful. I'll be writing about my 42+ hours of solitude for several days, I think. Billy Collins seems to be a favorite in this circle!

      Delete
  2. Great collection of books! I love Billy Collins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't get to the "Do Nothing" or information literacy books during my stay; the rain let up enough to allow me some walking. But I thoroughly enjoyed reading the other four!

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous too, and intrigue about the book: "How to do nothing". In need that one ASP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those I didn't get to, Jimena! I am keeping it at the top of my to-read pile, though.

      Delete
  4. Your post has many of us wondering- how would I like a few days alone in the woods?
    What would I take?
    Envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, if you ever have the chance to visit a Getaway location, take it! Simple comfort in nature is balm for the soul!

      Delete
  5. How fabulous for you to be on a solo retreat. It's better to have more books than to run out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly, Terje. And how kind of the Getaway design team to include reading lamps above the bed. Heaven!

      Delete
  6. What a great trip you gifted yourself. I couldn’t stop marking up Untamed. I need to go back and reread it. Nice stack you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, how I wanted to get a pencil into that book! I've resisted so far, but yes, a reread will be in order, and the marks may come then.

      Delete
  7. I am so so so ready for a retreat Chris and can I just say - you have so so so earned it! Enjoy every blessed moment. I am impressed by your book-limit self-discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I hope you get a retreat for yourself soon. A webinar I recently attended had a segment on teacher self-care. The speaker emphasized that personal growth is essential for professional growth. I did feel so much calmer at work on Wednesday, ready to tackle the next tasks ahead!

      Delete