Monday, March 15, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Fifteen: Bring on the Spring clothes!

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.

One of my bad habits is buying too many clothes.  I have piles upon piles, most worn at least once, just a few still with tags waiting for the right day/ occasion/ weather.  (I bought dresses for my son's college graduation during his sophomore year.  Hey, they were on sale!)

Yes, it's a bad habit, but it lends itself to one of my favorite Spring Break tasks: the annual swapping out of clothes.  Banished are the black and dark browns, the midnight blues and burgundy and piney evergreen.  Flannel shirts and heavy sweaters and fleecy pajamas are packed away in tubs; I have enough light layers remaining to get me through temperamental March weather.

Out come the boxes of Spring clothes.  Coral and sunshiney yellow, pastel pinks and blues and lavender, bright orange, muted sage and rose.  My brunette (graying with faded purple dye) hair and pale Polish skin let me get away with wearing a lot of different colors; not so good for the pocketbook, but easy to shop!  

The need to buy new clothes will be diminished for at least a few weeks, though, as rediscovering pieces from past Springs will satisfy those urges.  I tend to stick to solids, small-patterned florals and stripes--nothing too trendy that it looks out of date.  Colorful skinny jeans and ankle pants, button down shirts and tunic tops, tees and tanks in every color imaginable to pair with light cardigans (every librarian has a collection of cardigans, yes?).  My newest addiction--Karina dresses with pockets.  I've got enough of those to wear a different one every other week for the remainder of the school year!

Sundays are my day for planning, and that includes my work outfits for the week.  I check the weather forecast and write down the highs and lows on a Word template I made for myself.  Then I sit on my bed, look at all of my clothes, and plan what I'll wear.  It's a good habit I picked up when my husband and I worked opposite shifts, and I had to get dressed in the dark each morning.  My mornings will be a bit brighter now, wearing my Spring colors.  They will make me happy...until I've had enough of the sun and heat of Summer, and my Fall/ Winter clothes will beckon again. 

8 comments:

  1. I love the description of the colors and patterns. I would have loved dresses with pockets! I will have to look up Karina dresses! It certainly sounds like you are prepared with enough clothes to weather each season! I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, I was just so happy to see those colors again! And yes, please check out the dresses; they are a dream for teacher-types. Machine washable and wrinkle free, to boot!

      Delete
  2. Last week was a total tease since we had a 71 degree day. I thought there'd be a chance of spring clothes. But this morning it was 29 degrees when I left the house! So much for springtime here!

    Enjoy your brightly colored outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, you are in the same boat as many of my northern-residing friends...and where we were at, just last month! It is over 80 today, with beautiful blue skies; I can't imagine getting another round of wintry weather at this point!

      Delete
  3. Colors and textures and patterns, oh my! I could imagine all these combinations and seasonal changes thanks to your lovely descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I want to go shopping. Sort of. I think I can hold out and convince myself that I don't need anything. Then we get days like today, I look in my closet and realize I do need to go shopping. Seriously, I'm horrible about updating my wardrobe. It needs intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so lovely to think of getting out spring clothes. We are kind of back and forth here with temperatures and usually joke that we have spring for about one day and then it's summer. I am fascinated by how you plan what you'll wear, a week at a time! So scientific!

    ReplyDelete