Thursday, March 4, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Four: Getaway Monday, part one

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.


I drifted in and out of deep sleep, alternately lulled by the sound of rain and awakened by lightning flashing through my eyelids.  The morning broke as gray as the day before. 

Indoor lighting felt too bright.  The provided lantern illuminated my morning pages without interrupting the dawn outside my window.  
The rain let up, and the road outside my cabin beckoned, leading me to a looped trail at the top of the hill.
Yes, I am in the Piney Woods of Texas.
The sky still gray and misting, I found myself looking down as I hiked the well-marked path.  Fungi mimicked tree rings in their fanned shingles.
Bright green moss softened the sharp-edged rock faces.
More bright orange fungi caught my eye, co-existing with stalked green cousins.
It covered these branches, creating gloved skeleton fingers reaching for the sky.
A tall stump twisted from its roots, its gaping maw looking like a painful cry.
Serpentine vines seemed to strangle branches as they climbed upward.
A half-nut on a flattened log--a table setting for a squirrel, perhaps.
Can you see it--the branch hanging in midair, parallel to the young tree that caught its fall?
The trail continues.

7 comments:

  1. Chris, thank you for sharing your nature outing. I love walks like these that let me see another part of the world - within the woods. I especially like your intro and the first photo of inside looking out. I wonder if you would let me showcase this in my Winter's Embrace 2021 Gallery collection (both the prose and photo from you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are kind to stop by and comment! I am flattered that you want to borrow my photo and caption; you are welcome to do so!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! These pictures make me long for my own retreat - especially the picture of your room at dawn. Sigh. Here's to a week of nature & writing for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, it was lovely, even just for two days. A week would be heavenly! I'd like to think I could do that this summer...but Texas bug season is a bit too much for me, I think, ha!

      Delete
  3. I love your descriptions; they're all so good it's hard to choose one as a favorite. It looks like this is the perfect place for a writer' soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Alice! I came home from the walks and immediately sat down to capture my thoughts about the pics I took. There will be a couple more posts like this--I took lots of pics! Some would be great story starters, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The animal to Earth imagery you evoke!!! A table setting for a squirrel! I love these. You're an observant being and have a gorgeous way with words. XX

    ReplyDelete