Wednesday, March 3, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Three: Getaway Sunday

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.

Six bags packed, four trips to the car, two big hugs for my husband (one note left under his pillow to find later).  I pulled out of the driveway a half-hour later than I would have liked, but with plenty of time to reach my destination in daylight.

I have loved roadtrips since I learned how to drive.  The view is just so much better than those of the highway treks of my childhood; now that I think about it, that may be one of the reasons I was an avid reader in my youth.  Driving is a different story, a meditation of sorts, total concentration on the road, other drivers, directions.  Singing along with the car radio ranks up there as one of my favorite pastimes.  

I picked this Getaway location twice for the same reason--it's a four hour drive from home.  Long enough to enjoy the ride, close enough not to spend an entire day getting there.  Just four roads to remember, too, so easy to navigate on my own.

Three lanes turned to two, back to three, sometimes one.  Speed limits changed frequently from 40 mph to 70.  Three highways, then down a country road at 20 mph, looking out for oncoming traffic necessitating the need to pull over.  But I needn't worry about that last part; I was alone on that last stretch, save for the cows and horses in the pastures to the right.

I found my cabin easily, and could feel any remaining tension leave my body as I took in a lungful of piney, moist air.  A light mist was falling as I unloaded the car in as many trips as it took to pack it.  A quick call to my husband to let him know I had arrived, and then down to the business of settling in.

The AC was on, but there was a chill in the air; I raised the temperature on the gauge.  Food went into the fridge and in the open-faced cabinet.  A rag-towel was placed on the floor to keep it clean while I unpacked my weekend bag; slippers replaced my hiking boots, and the towel was folded up at the door.  Toiletries were relegated to the bathroom. I took a moment to snap a picture or two of the scenery through my windows, then threw my blanket on the bed for some added comfort.

I heard growling...and realized that I had skipped lunch.  An early dinner of leftover cheesy pasta, heated in the provided nonstick skillet on the stovetop, would satisfy my hunger.  The sky darkened as I cooked, rain pattering on the roof and blurring my view of the woods as I ate in silence.  Nature was dictating an early night in, and I acquiesced without complaint.  The few dishes were quickly washed, dried, and put away.  There was nothing left to do but change into warm fleecy pajamas, turn down the lights, and make a cup of herbal tea.  I had promised my husband a call at ten, but after reading for an hour, I realized my eyes wouldn't stay open that long.  I wished him good night just before eight pm, turned out the reading light shortly afterwards, and fell asleep to the sound of the rain and rustling branches.
My view when I arrived

Moss and lichen on a fallen branch outside my cabin

The rain came and went throughout the evening

A comfy setting for a cup of tea and a good book

11 comments:

  1. I traveled with you thanks to all your details. The calm and quiet come through loud and clear. I may need the address of this site. I so am ready for a change of scenery. But reading your slice today gaveme one! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, Getaway has locations all over the US! getaway.house is their website. It is the most COVID friendly, relaxing experience I've had all year!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this experience. I was right there with you. For me, in this moment, it was like a mini vacation. Thanks again for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orval, I'm glad you could take a moment to breathe with me, vicariously. I'll be writing about my stay for the next few days, so many pictures taken to remember the details!

      Delete
  3. What a calming view from the window. I enjoyed travelling and arriving there together with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terje. All of the cabins feature this window by the bed, facing nature. Forest bathing while enjoying indoor heating on a chilly day--wonderful!

      Delete
  4. You took us in a road trip w/ you, which makes me long for such a trip into nature. The cabin is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, this is my second Getaway, and each trip reinforces just how little we truly need to get by. I'm glad you enjoyed the road trip with me!

      Delete
  5. I have been looking at these little cabins for a long time! I They are kinda far from where I live but I might just want to go now based on your post. THey just look quiet and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin, if you don't mind the trip, I would recommend a stay. It is exactly that--quiet and peaceful.

      Delete
  6. Oh my word, I truly love the images paired with the vivid descriptions. I feel I'm living vicariously through you in this relaxing trip!! Forget the highways and vehicles; nature, can we stay?

    ReplyDelete