Friday, March 19, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Nineteen: Constant refuge

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.

Fran Haley wrote a pantoum poem about a childhood memory in her Slice "Reading" .  I could empathize with her second grade self, and was intrigued by the poetic form...here's my attempt at pantoum.
Seven schools in thirteen years
I wear new kid armor
Not really fitting in
The library is my refuge.
I wear new kid armor
Head down, but hand raised
The library is my refuge
Books don't judge the way children do.
Head down, but hand raised
Assignments finished quickly, accurately
Books don't judge the way children do
Favored stories a constant when the continent changes.

Assignments finished quickly, accurately
Not really fitting in
Favored stories a constant when the continent changes
Seven schools in thirteen years.


Note from Fran's Slice: A pantoum doesn’t have to rhyme. It is a form comprised of repeating lines in this pattern:

  1. Begin by writing four original lines.
    1 2 3 4
  2. REPEAT lines 2 and 4 and expand ideas in lines 5 and 6:
    2 5 4 6
  3. REPEAT lines 5 and 6, expand ideas in lines 7 and 8:
    5 7 6 8
  4. FINALLY, repeat lines 1, 3, 7 and 8 in the following order:
    7 3 8 1

4 comments:

  1. WOW. I am impressed. I might need a poetry-writing lesson from you...
    Learned more about you, enjoyed the poem, and excited to have learned about this new form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible poem that tells so much even with repeated lines. And I am so taken with this structure. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent! The form and your lines work so perfectly in this poetic memoir. Did you have trouble with any part? It flows so beautifully. I feel the ache, the self-consciousness, and the blessed salvation of books. So powerful, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Repetition adds depth to your piece. I will need to try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete