Friday, March 12, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Twelve: Eve of Spring Break

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.


Friday morning, before Spring Break
I turn off one alarm
Then another, ten minutes later
And set it yet again for another
Ten minutes
My eyelids drawn together
Like magnets

Ten minutes is all I can spare
Without disrupting my morning routine
Too much
I stumble to the bathroom
Stumble around the kitchen
Misjudge the coffeemaker tank
Water on the counter to mop up
The dishwasher needs emptying
Misjudge my robed arm in space
Knock over the flatware holder as
It rests on the counter
A loud clanging, too loud for oh-dark-thirty
Pick spoons up off the floor

Decide that meditating isn't a good idea
I'd probably fall asleep sitting on the couch

Move to morning page, start with affirmations
Get up to pour my coffee
Sit back down, push up my sleeve
Write about yesterday, my work and
The Slice that made people cry and
The need to phone my girlfriends more often and
The lower number on my scale (yay)

Refill my coffee, misjudge the amount left
Sip at the counter to make room
(don't want to waste a drop)
Looking out at the inky blackness
(Really, why is it darkest before the dawn?)
Cradling my mug, carefully make my way
To the study, and this Slice.

10 comments:

  1. Chris, I love this stream of consciousness morning narrative so much. Here's an example of form perfect for purpose - no need for prose - morning thoughts in fragments. Appreciate so much that you Sliced out of what...15 minutes? of early am thoughts...masterful. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawal, your timing was just about right; I think all of this did take place within 25 minutes. What a wonky morning!

      Delete
  2. Yes, the morning, the madness and the feeling of routine just before rest. You've said it so well! This was a joy to read and quite relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize I was so ready for Spring Break until I sat down to write this! Rest is needed, indeed.

      Delete
  3. I love this! I resonate with it so much. I am an alarm snoozer always at least once but there are for sure those days I need to hit it twice to finally drag myself out of bed. I loved the structure of your poem today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I found myself dragging more and more as we got closer to Spring Break. Friday was the hardest, getting out of bed before 430a!

      Delete
  4. I have lived this so many times! Surely the coffee and the Slicing will give you a needed boost - yet your lines are already full of celebration. The friends, the scales ... yes. And - it's Friday! Before spring break! Mine's still two weeks away (groan. Pass the coffee, please!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Fran, I hope you make it to that semi-finish line! Here's passing you that virtual cuppa. I hope I can relax fully next week and feel like I used my time off wisely.

      Delete
  5. Inky blackness before dawn...I love this slice! Must be the universe because this Friday has been the Fridayest ever for so many people. It was so hard and I'm glad it's (almost) over. No alarms for tomorrow morning, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I hope you had a chance to relax today as I'm replying on Monday of Spring Break. It was a beautiful Monday to make up for last Friday!

      Delete