Sunday, March 7, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day Seven: Getaway Monday, part three

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.

Monday afternoon brought another reprieve from the rain, so I set out on a different trail.
I found a roaring lion escaping from a tree...or is it a dragon?
Last December, I walked around this log in the path.  That solution wasn't available this time, so I straddled it and moved on!
I laughed when I saw this log vainly attempting to bar the way.
Sometimes we bend and don't break, and end up in a different place than where we started.  (On a more whimsical note...could this be a magic fairy portal?)
A tree skirt of bright green moss.
The raindrops on piney needles sprinkled my hooded head with holy water like the Easter Vigil blessings in Catholic churches.
Spring buds were already pushing through branches still tipped with rusty foliage.
A prickly sign of spring!
The view from the top of a hill as I left the trail, the horizon neatly dividing earth and sky.
I am reminded once again of our connection with nature by the similarity of bare trees and branches with our own circulatory and nervous systems.
I love returning to my tiny cabin and this view, even with dreary skies.
The last of the leftover ziti.  I've got a night of reading, writing, and crocheting ahead, then off to sleep with the trees standing watch.

Saying goodbye to my Getaway, in Tuesday's details to come.

8 comments:

  1. I don't make bucket lists and if I did, this kind of gateway would be on it. I can imagine how restorative and fulfilling this experience was for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terje, it was exactly what I needed. I've decided that it will be my new reward for being fiscally responsible, ie if I save x amount of dollars, I get to go on another Getaway!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love the imagery. Thanks for sharing your getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! It was such a relaxing trip, and obviously lots of fodder for Slices.

      Delete
  3. This is like a dream! I mean, where you are AND the things you're allowing yourself to see out there. Awesome awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel like a dream at times, Eddie. Surreal, to be disconnected from the noise and news and just get to be and breathe. I loved every minute!

      Delete
  4. Oh my word, so many gorgeous images!! I love this little series of photographs + captions that give us the perfect glimpse into your time there. THANK YOU! Keep livin! Miss me some nature and outdoor time... XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for walking the trails with me, Nawal! I'll be wrapping up the series soon; Tuesday morning was my last day there, sigh...

      Delete