Monday, March 1, 2021

SOLSC '21 Day One: Baggage of solitude

 

I am participating in my ninth Slice of Life Story Challenge run by the team behind the Two Writing Teachers website.  We are challenged to write a blog post a day throughout the month of March.


For the first time in nine years of participating in the SOLSC, I am prewriting a post.  When the challenge goes live on March 1st, I'll be out in the woods on a solo glamping retreat.

This is not the first time I've gone off by myself for a day or two.  After reading and rereading Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, I became enamored with the idea of spending time alone--time I get to use as I choose, without a schedule beyond beginning and ending.  The first two retreats were more conventional--a boutique-y, artsy town with a quaint hotel for a weekend, a hotel just around the corner from our house for a night.  

This time, I'll be alone in a tiny house among other tiny houses, spaced apart for privacy, out in the woods.  I will have basic amenities--plumbing, heat/ AC, a kitchenette, a comfy queen sized bed with fresh linens all to myself--and windows to look out into nature.  There's a radio for music, but no television, no wifi.  People are encouraged to be respectful of other residents' boundaries; we are even asked to use our indoor voices outside.  

With the prospect of limited human interaction and a forecast of rainy weather, I packed with occupying my time in mind.  Books, a notebook, my morning pages, a goal-setting workbook, a self-exploration journal, my planner, colorful gel pens, a crocheting project, magazines to peruse for mind candy.  When I include my bag of clothes and two bags of food (dry and cold), I realized that it's a lot of baggage for forty-two hours of solitude. 

Today, I am alone with my thoughts and my baggage, literal and emotional.  

At the very least, I should walk out with great fodder for Slices this month.  The goal is to emerge rested and renewed, with a bit more knowledge and clarity for the year ahead...and a few more rows crocheted on that project.

12 comments:

  1. I find this journey SO very interesting and SO very needed for busy and consumed individuals eve though I have never done anything even remotely close. I do know the power of a long walk alone with my thoughts and wonder if that is what happens - multiplied many times over? I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never regretted taking a day or two (with at least a night) to be alone with my thoughts, answering to only myself. This time in the woods was a first, but won't be the last. I may have just found the replacement habit I needed to combat clutter-buying...

      Delete
  2. Wonderful time ahead for you! I love Gift from the Sea, and I too, stayed in a tiny house this summer, be it only for a week! I look forward to reading more about your retreat. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week would be absolute heaven! I had to settle for 42 hours...but it was soul-filling, too.

      Delete
  3. I really found myself in need of some solitude and quiet time. I often enjoy my drive home from work as it provides me with just the right amount of "thinking time" and music playlist of my choice. These are the moments we need to refuel ourselves and feel refreshed for what is ahead. I hope your time continues to be well spent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently transferred to my neighborhood school, and while the 3 minute commute is wonderful for the gas bill, it doesn't allow for the same decompression time before getting home. I do miss that a bit! Maybe that's why I needed to get away.

      Delete
  4. Excellent strategy, Chris - I hope you will emerge rested and renewed from your piney retreat. I have long loved Lindbergh's Gift of the Sea. I think I may need to reread. I find myself wishing we were in a book study club! Today I celebrate another year of slicing alongside you, gift of the Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Fran, you may have a grand idea there--a virtual book study! Perhaps this summer? Something we want to read (or reread, like Gift of the Sea). It is so nice to have you along for this month, too!

      Delete
  5. I already felt tranquil reading your slice, I hope you are experience tranquility as I post this comment! Gift of the Sea is new to me, I cannot wait to read it. I loved the image the words " magazines to peruse for mind candy" evoked- playful and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, it was indeed tranquil. I took lots of deep breaths outside, moved by my own clock inside the cabin. And yes, there was mind candy reading in between the books!

      Delete
  6. Chris! I have been wanting to take a mini solo vacay and then the pandemic happened. This sounds like such a treat. I can't wait to read about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, you really need to check out the Getaway site. There are four locations in Texas! With your writing habit, you would be in heaven in one of those tiny houses!

      Delete